7.4 merc suddenly dies???

tandg96

Cadet
I purchased a 1993 2700SCR at the beginning of summer.Since then I have had it out 6 times 4 of which it has died.It has the 7.4 merc in it. The first time it died I took it back to the shop and they found a small piece of silicon in the carb. When looking at the fuel filter and the water separator, I find no particles. I've also looked for a pick-up screen, but there isn't one. I've ran 5 cans of Seafoam thinking it may be water in the gas, but it still dies. It seems to run great in the driveway and at low idle speeds in the water, but when I really open it up, it always dies. Could this be water in the gas? Should I drain the tank? Could it be something other than fuel?

MikDee

Banned
Re: 7.4 merc suddenly dies???

Silicon in the carb? what does that mean? It sounds like a fuel delivery problem, check the neoprene screen filter in the carb under the large nut, then replace the spin on fuel filter/water seperator, then check the antisiphon valve, and fuel filter at the tank, for debri. Then you will be able to eliminate any issue with these.

tandg96

Cadet
Re: 7.4 merc suddenly dies???

At the shop after removing the carb the mechanic said he found a small piece of silicone stuck in the needle and seat. I cannot figure out how it would get clear up there and I still have clean filters? Or where it would be coming from?

Thanks for your response.

Todd