7.3 Injection flush

puddle jumper

Captain
Has any one ever had there 7.3 deisel injectors flushed
wile there still in the engine.Is there a kit or a good fuel additive that works.
Thanks

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 7.3 Injection flush

motorvac makes a great cleaner for gas and diesel engines call diesel shops in your area and see if anyone offers that service. most things you put in the tank that claim to clean can be harmful to seals and gaskets.

puddle jumper

Captain

Jimr ive used motovac before but we dont have it in our area.The last shop i was at had the motovac and it worked well on most trucks.I was hoping that some one may have run into something that works that i can add to the tank.
In another forum one guy put seafoam in his fiul filter and ran it and some one else said bio deisel works the best.The seafoam thing i dont know about and i cant get bio deisel in my area.
Thanks for the input

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

for in the tank I would use Howes? you can get it at a truck stop or probablly napa I used to use it when I drove truck also I think lucas has a cleaner. I have heard of old guys running a quart of tranny fluid from time to time.​

Coors

Captain

Lucas is good, use it in gas and diesel.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Bio diesel will NOT clean!! My former employed made 300 gals a week and it was a maintenance nightmare..... filters and injectors suffered.

Kerosene not more that 10% in a single tank will clean. Good additives such as Power Service will also clean when used in higher dosage. I have also used ATF 16 ounces to a tank of fuel but no real measurable results.

If the engine is running okay I would use cleaner as above, change filters and keep clean respectable fuel in the tank.

The 7.3 injection system either works or it does not. The best way is to have the injectors removed, inspected and rebuilt if needed by a true diesel shop..... not a small car dealer.

puddle jumper

Captain

Bob you say Kerosene at 10% i may try that.I have two problems one is the location (theres nothing up here to work with) and two i cant take the truck out of service.Have you used Kerosene in a 7.3 before and is there anything to look out for?
thanks again for every ones in put

Bondo

Staff member

Up here in Winter,....... I run up to 40% Kerosene,..... Just so we can Pump the Diesel......
It's called Winter Blend......

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Bondo is right......You can go up to 40% but I would not go higher in concentration. If it's too high your injectors will be washing the lubrication off the cylinder walls and cause premature wear.

Higher concentrations actually lower the cetane level and give less power. If you are concerned just run a quality additive.