6hp wont start

goconnor

Cadet
I have a Johnson 6hp 6r-72d. I have installed new water pump, plugs, wires, carb kit and thermostat. The engine has 90 and 85 psi compression. The points and coils look brand new and I double checked the adjustment on the points. The spark has a good snap and is nice and bright whitish blue. As far as fuel goes. I am getting fuel to the carb (because I can smell it and if I over pump the bouble it come out the intake sometimes). I am not sure what the adjustment should be for the needle that is adjustable but I have tried to start it from 3/4 backed off to one full turn backed off. Neither way does it help beter than the other. I have pulled and pulled on this thing and it would not go. I even used a drill to turn it over because my arm got sore. Oh ya I was standing on the primmer bouble one time while using the drill and it still did not start so I do not think it would be the fuel pump.
Maybe someone crossed the plug wires so if someone has that direction I will check that quick.
The other thing is the carb needle adjustment? Turns?
Any other sugrestions would really help.
Thank You,
Greg

freddyray21

Commander
Re: 6hp wont start

carb needle one full turn out to start. Ignore the start spot on the throttle and open the throttle up as far as it will open with the motor in neutral and pull it. It sounds like it it not getting gas. Are the plugs wet?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up

F_R

Supreme Mariner

carb needle one full turn out to start. Ignore the start spot on the throttle and open the throttle up as far as it will open with the motor in neutral and pull it. It sounds like it it not getting gas. Are the plugs wet?

That is good advice...but not for the 6hp, which has no shifter interlock. Advance the throttle to where it just starts to kick the carburetor shaft open.

If you are not sure which wire goes where, try switching them.

goconnor

Cadet

I did not know if by switching the wires I would cause a back fire or something.
The plugs are just a little wet. I have had it happen to me in the past when the cylinders got flooded and the plugs were soaked. I feel a little wet is normal until it starts.
I will will back the needle off 1.5 turns and see how that works if not I will switch the wires. I hope one of these things works.
Greg

JB

Cleaning the carb properly on those little JohnnyRudes is a difficult task, and more often than not a failure on the first try. The overlooked part is usually the tiny orifices in the throat of the carb.

Before you throw any more parts or overhauls at it go to the Engine FAQs Forum and do "Outboard won't start". That will tell you what system is not working correctly.

Let us know what you find. My money is on the carb.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I did not know if by switching the wires I would cause a back fire or something.
The plugs are just a little wet. I have had it happen to me in the past when the cylinders got flooded and the plugs were soaked. I feel a little wet is normal until it starts.
I will will back the needle off 1.5 turns and see how that works if not I will switch the wires. I hope one of these things works.
Greg

Yes, if they are switched, and wrong, it can backfire. Won't really hurt anything though. Might scare you half to death.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Look for a brass ring squeezed onto one of the spark plug wires - that wire should be on the upper spark plug.

goconnor

Cadet

I am getting close to getting this thing going. I just have to be missing something. I switch the plug wires around and it back fires. After that I figured I had them right so I moved them back. I adjusted the carb needle to 1.25 turns out and tryed to get it to go (still no start). Then I moved it slowly back to one turn out and as I moved it back was trying to start it. I started to turn over more and more as I adjusted down but still would not go. I have fuel coming out, in a very small amount, out of the intake. Mabe that will tell you something.
I read the post that you mentioned. It looks like the only thing I have not tryed is spraying fuel into the carb. Maybe someone can give me a sugestion on how they did this. I do not like either on these little motors but I am not sure how I can spray a fuel mixture.
Other than that I guess I need to pull the carb again but I have cleaned many carbs before and this one looked very simple and was pretty clean agains other carbs I have see.
Let me know what you think.
Thank You,
Greg

Xcusme

Commander

Greg, Spraying fuel mix into the carb throat is easy. Find a plastic spray bottle, some folks use a Windex (glass cleaner) type bottle. I prefer the type of bottle with an adjustable nozzel that alows adjustment from a solid stream to a light mist. Fill half full of fuel mix and direct stream/mist into carb throat. If the motor runs for a few seconds , it confirms a blockage in the low speed idle circuit of the carb.

Points adjustment:
Remove flywheel
Rotate crankshaft and align crank key way with 1st set of points RUB BLOCK (part that contacts point cam). Adjust points for .020
Rotate crank shaft 180 degrees and adjust 2nd point set as before.
Replace flywheel and torque nut to specs.

JB

If you have fuel coming out the intake you could be flooding it, Connor.

Double check the float (not sunk) and the inlet needle (sealing well).

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

You got compression.
You got spark.
Rebuild the carb. I just did my 6 hp (1970) carb on saturday. It had exactly the same issues your does now. It started immediately after rebuilding the carb. Make sure to clean EVERYTHING, including the tiny little holes under the welch plug on the top of the carb. I soaked mine for a couple of hours, blew it out thoroughly with the air compressor, and then did it again.
As a hint, it is possible to take the carb off without completely removing the recoil starter. Take the top two starter mounting bolts out, and carefully move the starter toward the front of the engine without letting the spring in the base get loose. You can then get to the carb mounting nut that is normally hidden by the starter.

rupertmja

Seaman

On my 2hp carb I pulled the low speed jet out and blew air through it - actually, did the same for every orifice. But for that low speed one I also spray carb cleaner through it and you can then check to see that it comes out of those tiny holes in front of the throttle valve - just don't spray it in your eyes - look at it at an angle - then blast it with air again.

goconnor

Cadet

Ok well I have not had that problem before. I sprayed fuel in the carb as outlined. It started a second or so. Did it again and it started for another second. So I pulled the carb off and found no fuel in the bowl. I checked the float and found that the needle was stuck in the hole. I have no idea how that can happen because both the needle and the barrol were brand new but it did. I removed it cleaned it up again then reinstalled everything. Started on the third pull. I need to get it out in the water soon to adjust the other needle but it seems to run pretty good.
Thank You all for your help,
Greg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you did not install the spring clip on the needle? That clip is there to drag the needle off the seat. It probably will stick again sometime in the future, if it is not there.