6hp tohatsu won’t turn on

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We've been going on the theory that it was working OK when it went into storage, but I'm staring to doubt that this was the case..
Otherwise I wouldn’t still be trying to figure it out.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Once the oil pump is primed the light won't come on while pulling the rope. I don't think that motor has a low oil cutoff anyway.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
I'm curious how you "inspected" the flywheel too!

If you're getting spark, then it's not the oil pressure issue. And you can disco that oil switch if you really think that might be a cause, but don't forget to reconnect it as it DOES serve a useful purpose.

Forget about spark AT ALL until you can crank the thing over a bunch of times and end up with a WET plug. You wrote before that after many revolutions you still had a completely dry plug. THAT is WRONG, so figure out why there's no gas getting to the cylinder.

MattFL

I'm curious how you "inspected" the flywheel too!

If you're getting spark, then it's not the oil pressure issue. And you can disco that oil switch if you really think that might be a cause, but don't forget to reconnect it as it DOES serve a useful purpose.

Forget about spark AT ALL until you can crank the thing over a bunch of times and end up with a WET plug. You wrote before that after many revolutions you still had a completely dry plug. THAT is WRONG, so figure out why there's no gas getting to the cylinder.

But he says it doesn't run on starting fluid, which is a real head scratcher because even an engine super low on compression will run on starting fluid.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
But he says it doesn't run on starting fluid, which is a real head scratcher because even an engine super low on compression will run on starting fluid.
Saw that, but really wondering how effective that test was executed.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If the flywheel key is sheared. It won't run on either or anything else

MattFL

Lol. I put it in the vent from the carb and removed the spark plug and shot some down there.
That's not going to do much. You need to do what I mentioned earlier; open the throttle and spray some into the carburetor through the metal screen.

pvanv

Admiral
Oil light is powered by ignition when oil pressure is below 4 psi or so. I would expect it to flicker when starting.

MattFL

Oil light is powered by ignition when oil pressure is below 4 psi or so. I would expect it to flicker when starting.
From memory, on a cold start or if I pull the rope really slowly on mine, the light will flicker. But once it has been running, or you've pulled the rope enough times to prime the oil pump, a good pull on the rope builds enough oil pressure to keep the light out. I bought mine (6HP Tohatsu) new in I believe 2014 and don't use it much, I think it has 25-ish hours on the hour meter.