6HP Sea King (Chrysler) - how do I decode vintage?

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Model: VWB9073A
Serial: 56XG12646

I snagged it at an auction today for $35 + $1 for a clean 4-1/2G tank W/hose, bulb & quick-connect.
Got it home and popped the hood and my eyes bugged out. The entire powerhead appears pristine. Forced to guess, I'd say it has no more than 10 hours on it.

Earlier this year I sold one all but identical. <--The model on that one began with: VWB66---, so I GUESSED it was a '66.
Is it safe to GUESS that this one's a '90?

I suspect the low usage is owing to lower unit damage. It either froze or hit an obstruction and was welded - but it leaks.
Accordingly, can anyone point me to a source for a replacement lower unit shell?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 6HP Sea King (Chrysler) - how do I decode vintage?

Monkey Wards made it easy by encoding the year in the numbers preceeding the "X", in your case 56X. You have to reverse the number to get the year. In other words, reverse the 56 and you get 65---1965

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. That makes sense.

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Follow-up question regarding smoke. It seems apparent to me that this outboard smokes MUCH more as it's running in neutral than when it's in gear - when it gets down to next to nothing. Fuel mix is 50:1. Should I count my blessings, or what? Here's a short vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPnoZl5t0R0&feature=youtu.be