69 Johnson 60hp hydroelectric drive starts in reverse

kooterboats

Recruit
Recently service the lower unit and impeller. Hooked everything back up n now it's very reluctant to start and whn it does its in reverse. The knife connection for the green and blue wires are good. Has anyone had a similar situation?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the motor ( powerhead ) running backwards?-----Yes these can run backwards.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Is the motor ( powerhead ) running backwards?-----Yes these can run backwards.
Brilliant thought. But my knee-jerk reaction was that the shift wouldn't work if running backwards. Duh....of course it would default to forward---which would be "reverse" since it is rotating backwards.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Brilliant thought. But my knee-jerk reaction was that the shift wouldn't work if running backwards. Duh....of course it would default to forward---which would be "reverse" since it is rotating backwards.
On the 3 Cylinder that would happen as it used a standard type 2 Tooth Clutch Dog, but on the V4 Cases I doubt it would have, as they use Ramp Type Clutch Dogs, and would likely make a bunch of Clacking Sounds

kooterboats

Recruit
A 1969 would be a 55 HP model.-----Switch the shift wires and test again.----Model # is ??
Don't know the model # but yea I switched the wires, put the proper type c gear oil in it, and ut is a 60 hp so perhaps it's a 1970