69 Johnson 20hp doesn't want to stay running

FishinJoe

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I just rebuilt the carb and replaced the points and condenser's. How it was one side of the points were to spec at 0.020 but the other side was at 0.008? Does anyone have any explanation of this? Before I started this it really did not like to idle at all at low RPM's thats why I did this? any ideas in the knowledge box? Thank you all for putting up with a noobe trying to learn!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: 69 Johnson 20hp doesn't want to stay running

When you say one side is supposed to be at .008, where are you getting this information? Both points should be gapped at .020 and if one side was set at .008, I would that is a pretty good reason for the motor not running right.

FishinJoe

Seaman Apprentice

I explained that wrong, I know that both should be at 0.02, but when I took it apart one side was at 0.02 and the other at 0.008. It ran like that kinda but now it doesn't want to stay running. Also I did adjust the carb correctly. Any ideas?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Did you adjust the side that was at .008 to .020?

FishinJoe

Seaman Apprentice

Yes both sides were reset at .020. And the carb is adjusted the way I read on this site. Any ideas before I have to take it into the shop? I didn't realize I was going to run into these problems. I'm stuck at a standstill here.

K.B

Seaman

You din't say nything about replacing your spark plugs which one has to look like a tar ball on the end since .008 didn't give it much to work with. If compression is good, wires(?) are good, all the above, you should be able to blow that gooey carbon on out.

FishinJoe

Seaman Apprentice

Spark plugs were replaced and looked fine. Wires and compression are both good. This has me stumped. It ran fine at operating speed last year but didn't idle down too well this is why I rebuilt the carb and did the points. I am out of ideas.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

At this point, I think I would remove the coils and take them to my local OMC/BRP dealer to be tested. Take the spark plug wires with you so that the entire unit, from coil to spark plug boot, can be tested for function and leakage.