69 Evinrude How to replace coils,condensers,plugs, points and adjust carb

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 69 Evinrude How to replace coils,condensers,plugs ,and points

Thanks Guys.... The Non motor working Support group:D JK. In all Seriousness I do appreciate Everyone's help and encouragement. I plan to follow Cajun's advice,and take this day off. I'll order some parts and look over everything I have to study. I tried to rent the compression tester ,but it was rented out,one way or another Saturday morning I will have a compression reading. Then will go from there, going to order plug wires and boots. Then the whole ignition system will be new. I do understand that just throwing parts at it is not the best way to fix these motors. My thinking has been this is my primary motor ,and I want to know how to rebuild these old motors top to bottom. So if i think it could be this or that just go for it cause in the end it will be the motor I use the most(for now),and like AITn says just the knowledge gained from doing each process. I literally can't wait to have my carb in a hundred pieces on my kitchen table. Every thing i've done I've gained knowledge and confidence. The coils where a good example.I knew as soon as I saw the old coils from everything I've seen or read about them they seemed fine,but I still wanted to change them just so I would know how to do it,and everything would be new. The carb kit is the same even if that is not the problem I still want to do it just so I'll know how ,and I will know that this carb will be good to go for a little while. So my plan is to do Compression test. If good, Pop the flywheel off again recheck points replace plug wires,and boots. Check for good spark if good, Then rebuild carb. Then try again. I used the marks on the roller cam. I was familer with the other marks cause I used them to set the points with an ohm meter. They where working perfectly, and should be set good. Ok so here's a thought after changing the points,coils,plugs,and condensers. the next day I tried to start the motor. and It didn't want to start. I pulled 40 or more times. I was just about to give up for the day, and it started. So I ran it a little while then the next day after work less than 24hrs later. I looked at the choke realized it wasn't working. Closed it by hand and it started first pull. That's the day I made the video of it running posted in the thread. Then waited over 2 days to try and start it again this last time when it wouldn't start. The motor has always started good after running. So I'm thinking it may have been just enough time from one day to the next when It started good. Then waiting 2 days it went back to it's original problem of not wanting to start. Meaning the the coils and points may not have been the problem to begin with. The only thing I did between the day it ran and the day it wouldn't start is adjust the roller cam, and that's one culprit and one I may attack before the carb rebuild. Someone mentioned a stuck float.That's another culprit that I will go after second. So that's my plans I'll keep you guys posted, and thanks everyone for your help

2 questions
On the spark tester. As I said In a Previous post. One cylinder pops 2 or 3 times with each pull. the other usually only gives 1 solid spark per pull. Is this something I should really try and correct or is one good spark per pull of the rope good?

On the carb rebuild. Do I need a special tool to remove the High speed needle. Should I have to remove this needle to clean it, if so what is the tool ,and where can I order it.

Here ya go Cajun Thanks againheineken and manual.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Hey cc. Sounds like the roller cam is the culprit fuel wise. Regarding the spark I would try to get the same number/type of spark from each cylinder. Of course, when you're pulling it by hand you may not always get the exact same amount spark, but if one is consistently inconsistent, then there may be a problem. I would give it a double check. As far as the carb goes. You don't really need a special tool to remove the Hi speed needle. The main needle itself should just crew out, but there's a tiny, little bearing thingy in the passage that you can remove if you like. The best way is to use a small, flat head jewler's screwdriver, or the type you use to fix eye glasses. You may need to file the sides down a bit to get it to fit into the passage, but that's about it. To be honest, I've never removed it. I just reomve the main Hi speed needle and give it a couple good blasts and/or a good soak in carb cleaner is enough to get the passage nice and clean. A thin wire is also handy for poking any debris out of the way. Good luck.

jbjennings

Captain

Thanks Guys.... The Non motor working Support group:D JK. In all Seriousness I do appreciate Everyone's help and encouragement. I plan to follow Cajun's advice,and take this day off. I'll order some parts and look over everything I have to study. I tried to rent the compression tester ,but it was rented out,one way or another Saturday morning I will have a compression reading. Then will go from there, going to order plug wires and boots. Then the whole ignition system will be new. I do understand that just throwing parts at it is not the best way to fix these motors. My thinking has been this is my primary motor ,and I want to know how to rebuild these old motors top to bottom. So if i think it could be this or that just go for it cause in the end it will be the motor I use the most(for now),and like AITn says just the knowledge gained from doing each process. I literally can't wait to have my carb in a hundred pieces on my kitchen table. Every thing i've done I've gained knowledge and confidence. The coils where a good example.I knew as soon as I saw the old coils from everything I've seen or read about them they seemed fine,but I still wanted to change them just so I would know how to do it,and everything would be new. The carb kit is the same even if that is not the problem I still want to do it just so I'll know how ,and I will know that this carb will be good to go for a little while. So my plan is to do Compression test. If good, Pop the flywheel off again recheck points replace plug wires,and boots. Check for good spark if good, Then rebuild carb. Then try again. I used the marks on the roller cam. I was familer with the other marks cause I used them to set the points with an ohm meter. They where working perfectly, and should be set good. Ok so here's a thought after changing the points,coils,plugs,and condensers. the next day I tried to start the motor. and It didn't want to start. I pulled 40 or more times. I was just about to give up for the day, and it started. So I ran it a little while then the next day after work less than 24hrs later. I looked at the choke realized it wasn't working. Closed it by hand and it started first pull. That's the day I made the video of it running posted in the thread. Then waited over 2 days to try and start it again this last time when it wouldn't start. The motor has always started good after running. So I'm thinking it may have been just enough time from one day to the next when It started good. Then waiting 2 days it went back to it's original problem of not wanting to start. Meaning the the coils and points may not have been the problem to begin with. The only thing I did between the day it ran and the day it wouldn't start is adjust the roller cam, and that's one culprit and one I may attack before the carb rebuild. Someone mentioned a stuck float.That's another culprit that I will go after second. So that's my plans I'll keep you guys posted, and thanks everyone for your help

2 questions
On the spark tester. As I said In a Previous post. One cylinder pops 2 or 3 times with each pull. the other usually only gives 1 solid spark per pull. Is this something I should really try and correct or is one good spark per pull of the rope good?

On the carb rebuild. Do I need a special tool to remove the High speed needle. Should I have to remove this needle to clean it, if so what is the tool ,and where can I order it.

Here ya go Cajun Thanks againView attachment 130421

Your carb does not have a high speed adjustment needle like it does for the slow speed circuit. It has a high speed orifice. The orifice is made of bronze and has a straight, non-tapered slot for removal. If you use a regular screwdriver, you will likely break the edge of the orifice and still not get the orifice out. You would have to take a grinder and grind the taper off a proper size flathead screwdriver so that it fits perfectly in the slot in order to remove it. I personally rarely remove them. I just put my carb bowls which contain the high speed orifice in a gallon bucket of carb. cleaner and let it sit for a day, then remove it, blow it out really good, and put it back together.
I agree with kfa on both the high speed orifice and the spark questioin, just don't look for a high speed needle to remove since it's not there.
JBJ

AlTn

Commander

you asked..the tool is called a jet removal tool, part no. 317002..don't know current price, it was ~ $20..I got one through a local brp dealer and yes, you should have a healthy spark with the firing being top - bottom..equal sparks...to further your outboard tool acquisition contact F_R about his timing fixture tool and coil locator ring...my opinion only, but the fixture tool is really a nice addition

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's up guys
Well After taking Cajun's advice, Taking a little break and going over everything. I was thinking that the simplest solution ,and vary likely one. Could be that the original lack of spark was the problem. That when I adjusted the follower cam I over adjusted it. Meaning the carb rebuild,and compression testing could just be overkill. All I would really have to do is adjust the follower cam back,and that could fix all the problems. So I decided before I spent the $ on rebuild kit ,and compression tester that I would try to just adjust the cam back a little ,and sure enough that was it. Started on the fourth pull:D So Thanks again to everyone who helped especially Cajun for recommending me to take a step back,and Kfa for confirming the possibility that it was just an over adjusting of the follower cam. Ive ordered the choke return spring so I can make the choke work again, Plus plug wires ,and boots I'll probably just hold onto the wires and boots for a little while. Maybe tackle that stuff on a slow weekend in the future. For know It's back to the 18Hp Johnson rebuild. As I think this 25 rude is good to go for a while.:cool:

It may not be perfect ,But I believe it will start and run good till I get some extra time to work on it some more.

kfa4303

Banned

sweet cc. looks and sounds good. glad she's running. vroom, vroom!!!!!

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Atta boy, Chad! Now, back to the 18... Race ya! ;)

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Atta boy, Chad! Now, back to the 18... Race ya! ;)

Your ON:D
2012-01-2818Hpjohnsonpreteardown.jpg

Mine's in the kitchen now.:D IF everything goes well. My plan is to have this thing in as many pieces as I can get it in before the weekend is over

Seeing as I've never done this I don't imagine it's gonna go all that smooth! It'll be fun trying till I pop a couple knuckles.

64osby

Admiral

Your ON:D
2012-01-2818Hpjohnsonpreteardown.jpg

Mine's in the kitchen now.:D

If I did that I would be flogged and banished from the house until spring, SWMBO rules our kitchen, I get the carport and pole barn for my projects.

kfa4303

Banned

Nah 64osby. Just tell the misses it's a REALLY big, gas powered, 2 stroke blender. Everyone has one of those, right? I'm sure she'll buy it :) I recently brought one of these (FD-20C, 20 hp) back to life too. Great motor. Took it out yesterday as a matter of fact. Holler if you get stuck. Good luck.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I did that I would be flogged and banished from the house until spring, SWMBO rules our kitchen, I get the carport and pole barn for my projects.

It's safe to say no ones real happy about the project but me!:D. Here's a tip if you put you head phones on and crank your music up really loud you can't hear anyone. Or what there saying.:D

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nah 64osby. Just tell the misses it's a REALLY big, gas powered, 2 stroke blender. Everyone has one of those, right? I'm sure she'll buy it :) I recently brought one of these (FD-20C, 20 hp) back to life too. Great motor. Took it out yesterday as a matter of fact. Holler if you get stuck. Good luck.

Will do Kfa...Thanks

64osby

Admiral

Even if I tried to sell it as an Industrial Vintage Kitchen Aid Mixer, it wouldn't fly.

Hope the FD-20 worked well, Us Northern's are a few months away from fresh water testing. Hard water is worse than salt water on these old motors.

Last edited:

weh8625

Recruit
Re: 69 Evinrude How to replace coils,condensers,plugs, points and adjust carb

My first post on the forum. My second old motor project.
My first was a 1961 Johnson 18HP, and now I have a 69 Evinrude 40HP Big Twin.

A couple issues I'm having. It starts right up if I spray a little carb cleaner in the throat.
After that it idles great. It only stays running if I keep the choke closed.
I have read about vacuum leaks or a clogged gas line. Any ideas from the experts?

The other issue is it idles great and will stay running all day, but when I start to throttle up,
it speeds up but every few seconds seems to miss or backfire and the engine shakes, but it keeps going.
Any ideas here?

Thanks for your help,
Will

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's up Weh. Welcome aboard. I'm no expert new to all this myself. I'm pretty sure the experts would say never spray starter fluid or anything like that in your motor because it has no oil in it. So get a little spray bottle and put some gas mix in there,and use that. As I was told on my 1st post as I did the same thing you just did. The mods don't like hijacking threads. Which means basically if your not talking about what's already in this thread It's best to start your own. It doesn't bother me, but you'll get more help if you start a new thread. So start a new thread and put as much info about your particular motor you can ,and the Experts will help you.:D

kfa4303

Banned

HI weh. Great old motor you got there. Sounds like you definitely have a fuel delivery issue. It's probably one of two things; either your fuel pump and/or your carb. One way to check the fuel pump is to squeeze the primer bulb. It should get and stay firm for several minutes. Another quick test is to remove the fuel line going into the carb while to motor is at idle to see if fuel is pulsating out as it should. There's enough fuel in the carb to keep the motor running for a few seconds so you have time to check and reconnect the line. If the bulb stays firm and it pulses fuel, the pump is probably ok. However, I would strongly recommend installing one of the little, clear plastic, inline fuel filters like the one in the pic below between the fuel pump and the carb. not only does it filter the fuel, but it gives you visually confirmation of fuel flow and delivery. They only cost about $2 and install in about 1 min.
I suspect you're really having carb issues in which a good cleaning and rebuild is in order. It's not as bad as it sounds. It just invloves unbolting the carb, thoroughly cleaning it and replacing the various gaskets and seals which can/do wear out over time, especially with all of the ethanol in modern fuel. You can get a carb kit right here at iboats for about $20. Here are some great links that can walk you through an entire tune up for your "Big Twin" from top to bottom. Give 'em a read. Holler if you get stuck.

BTW.....you should probably start your own thread just so we can keep everything straight.

in-line fuel filter.jpg

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Or KFa...Who is one of the best on Iboats. Will help you either way. Thanks Kfa for all the help you give everyone. :D...I know what it is your gunning for that Vice admiral tag....LOL..JK For real Thanks.

weh8625

Recruit

KFA & CCV,
Thanks for the insites.
I installed an inline fuel filter as suggested and rebuilt the carb.
First time out it ran a little rough and bulb wasn't staying firm, then I found the fuel line wasn't locked onto the tank.
After fixing that next day ran great for about 20 minutes.
Then started choking and coughing a little in high speed, but ran better with the choke on.
I think the high speed jet picked up a little dirt.
I'll give that a quick clean before my next run, and see how she does.

Will

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Will.. it seems you difinatlly have some sort of issue. As everything I've read says applying the choke is only for starting the motor,and applying it any other time should kill the engine. I would check the choke buterfly and make sure its closing all the way. If so and its still running it appears your haveing fuel shortage issue check out the fuel pump.