68 evinrude magneto problem

Mitytim

Cadet
This motor ran fine 2 years ago, but now I had a problem with the amp, so I replaced it with a auto coil, etc. and now I have spark all the way up to the magneto. I mean I can take the plug wire that goes into the magneto and I get a good healthy spark, but I am not getting anything to the plugs. I checked the resistance of the coils in the magneto and get a reading of about 4.0. Can anyone tell me what to do from here? I would love to do some walley fishing. ;-)
Thanks for your help. Tim

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 68 evinrude magneto problem

What motor are we discussing here? Amplifier AND a magneto with coils?? More information please.

Mitytim

Cadet

Hello Vice Admiral:
As you can tell, I am the newest of the new on working on these things. This is a 1968 Evinrude 55 HP. It had an amplifier, but was not getting any spark from the amp, and through the tests that I read on here, determined it was the amp. So, I changed it over to a regular coil, and now I have spark from the coil going to the points, but that is where it stops. Nothing to the plugs. There are two black wires that come from under the flywheel. One is a ground, so I disconected that (thinking that might be the kill switch) but still no fire. The points are opening and closing set at 0.10. It has a magneto, but I guess that has nothing to do with if it should get spark or not???

Any help you can give would be VERY, much appreciated!
Thanks Much, Tim

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is no magneto except for the alternator stator under the flywheel. It is for charging the battery. In addition to that, there is a distributor cap and rotor that takes the spark from the coil and directs it to the proper spark plug at the right time. The two black wires that you speak of go to the points and ground. The ground has to be connected in order for the points to do anything.

Obviously, the spark is getting lost going through the distributor. Look for cracks, carbon tracks, dirt or whatever that might conduct the spark away from where is supposed to go.

I am aware that people have converted those things to auto coil igniton, but have never tried it myself. When you go re-engineering something like that, you are sort of on your own. I wonder--you don't mention a condenser. Have you installed one?

Mitytim

Cadet

I am learning a lot already. I have cleaned the brass using emery cloth in the distributor cap and rotor. I didn't see any cracks, carbon tracks or anything that looked unsusal and then wiped the whole thing down. I installed a racing coil, condenser and a ceramic block of an auto (can't think of the name of it). Do distirbutor/rotor just get wore out? This may be original, don't know. It has a sticker that says gap at 0.10 on it. Another quick question. The two yellow wires that come out from the distributor to the stator. Can they be hooked up backwards? Since they are both yellow does it matter which yellow goes to which yellow? The connector was removed by me, :eek: and am not 100% sure if I have them right.
Thanks again Admiral!