68 Evinrude 6 hp wont stay running

planman

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 5, 2011
Messages
7
I have a 68 Evinrude 6 hp motor
I rebuilt the fuel pump and the motor ran that day. The next it started but quit like it was out of gas.
I rebuilt the carb and the exact same senario it worked that day, the next it started but quit like it had no gas.
I replaced the tank, it was rusty, same deal.
I replaced the gas lines same deal.
I gravity feed the carb by by-passing the pump and putting the tank on a ladder same deal it ran one day not the next.
The ironic thing is sometimes if I do nothing and just let it sit for a day it will run but the next day it will start then die.
Is my next step to check the reeds? or do I actually have a gremlin?
 

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
674
Re: 68 Evinrude 6 hp wont stay running

Have you checked spark? try a timing light and see if when its not running you get a light flash,Could be coils acting up.Have you tried putting 1/2 teaspoon MIXED fuel in the cylinders when its not starting? then try to start it.A spark tester would work also.
 

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
8,958
Re: 68 Evinrude 6 hp wont stay running

Sounds like the needle/seat in the carb is playing with you. When you overhauled the carb did you replace it, does it have the little clip that attaches the float to the needle attached? If you squirt some fuel mixture into the carb will it fire up? Float level set correct?
 

planman

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 5, 2011
Messages
7
Re: 68 Evinrude 6 hp wont stay running

Last time I checked I had spark and I haven't put any fuel directly in the cylinders but I have sprayed starter fluid in the carb and that gets a run until it's out of starter fluid. Which would make you thinks it's a carb problem but I checked all of the orifices and float they are all clear and adjusted properly and if it was the carb I wouldn't think it would run on alternate days. I'll check the magnito though and I did check the points but maybe they came loose and are occasionally in the correct position.
Thanks for the ideas.
 

planman

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 5, 2011
Messages
7
Re: 68 Evinrude 6 hp wont stay running

Yes the float is level and the clip is attached to the float my original didn't have a clip so I've tried it both ways
thanks for the responses
 

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
8,958
Re: 68 Evinrude 6 hp wont stay running

I don't think the reeds are causing your problems. The next time it woun't start try squirting some fuel mixture in the carb and see if it fires off. If it does you have a internal carb problem.
Another thought, is the float binding in the pivot housing?
 

planman

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 5, 2011
Messages
7
Re: 68 Evinrude 6 hp wont stay running

I don't think the float is binding because it moves freely when it's apart and I can hear it rattle when the carb is back together.
 

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
8,958
Re: 68 Evinrude 6 hp wont stay running

Post #4, will run till the starter fluid runs out (DON"T USE STARTER FLUID), tells the story. If it will run on an external fuel supply, your problem is in the carb. If it works properly at times, the problem is something that is moveable. the only thing that moves in the carb is the needle/seat and float. Does your needle have a rubber tip on it? Is the float pin made of metal or plastic, could it be binding? Just trying to come up with ideas for you to repair your problem.
 

planman

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 5, 2011
Messages
7
Re: 68 Evinrude 6 hp wont stay running

Post #4, will run till the starter fluid runs out (DON"T USE STARTER FLUID), tells the story. If it will run on an external fuel supply, your problem is in the carb. If it works properly at times, the problem is something that is moveable. the only thing that moves in the carb is the needle/seat and float. Does your needle have a rubber tip on it? Is the float pin made of metal or plastic, could it be binding? Just trying to come up with ideas for you to repair your problem.
Thanks for the help Daviet. I would tend to agree with you but the float is not binding and it has a metal pin I've tried both needles my older one with the rubber tip without a spring and the new all metal one with a spring.I've also tried different positions vertically for the high speed nozzle. I did look at the Synchronization this weekend and it is clearly way off so I'm going to work on that this evening, but if that were the problem I don't think it would run at all unless occasionally the spark timing becomes aligned with the fuel to run correctly.
 

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
8,958
Re: 68 Evinrude 6 hp wont stay running

The next time it woun't run, pull the drain screw on the carb bowl and see if it is full of fuel. If there is fuel there the needle/seat and float are doing there job. When you overhauled the carb did you remove the core plug on top of the carb and clean the tiny passages in there?
 

planman

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 5, 2011
Messages
7
Re: 68 Evinrude 6 hp wont stay running

The next time it woun't run, pull the drain screw on the carb bowl and see if it is full of fuel. If there is fuel there the needle/seat and float are doing there job. When you overhauled the carb did you remove the core plug on top of the carb and clean the tiny passages in there?
Hi Daviet I have pulled the drain screw and there was gas however I will double check that. I didn't pull the core plug off because it looked like I would have to drill it to pull it, the center seamed a little pushed in and the surrounding carb material kind of overlapped it from someone elses hammer blows. That being said I did check to make sure there was air flow through those orafices.There was some type of red wax over the plug that came off during cleaning should I put new wax on it and maybe I should go ahead and remove the plug and clean it up. BTW last night it dawned on me why you said don't use starter fluid, because it has no oil to protect the surfaces so in the future it might help others if you say why not to use something.
thanks Ron
 
Top