67 merc 60 6hp no spark, HELP

Shawn244

Cadet
I traded into a new boat this year to be able to take my daughter into the walleye derby next spring. Real happy with the boat but still struggling to get the outboard firing.

it's a 1966/67 merc 60 6hp that's not getting any spark. I have tested the plugs on another engine and they fire just fine. So this leads me to believe it's one of the following issues:

first thought was the points, check for corrosion and gap however everything seems fine there

next was the kill switch, it's all broken up and I havent put a new one in YET, i will once i can find spark and feel comfortable taking it out on the water with my kids without mechanical issues
I disconnected the two wires which run the circuit and left the ground with no luck, also tried disconnecting the ground without luck

next was the condensers, however I have no way of testing them (that I'm aware of, throw thoughts at me if theres an easy way) one thing I noticed was they appear to be different for each cylinder which I thought was strange. However if 1 was working would I not get spark in at least 1 of the plugs???

I have made sure the cam is right side up, also for ****s and gigs I tried flipping it as I heard one time that can sometimes make a difference even if its right side up.

I also gave a quick sanding to the mags to clean up a tiny bit of corrosion

what are some of my options??? I uploaded pics of the motor to my profile as they were too big for this post

the motor is pretty clean otherwise and looks like it's been maintained well

I want to bring the life back into this puppy for many years yet to come

Last edited:

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Definitely clean the points to a mirror finish and set their gaps to .020 at the high point on the cam. If you still don't have spark you most likely need condensers. If you have a dmm that has a capacitance function you can test them. The coils on those are usually good unless there is visible cracks or damage.

Shawn244

Cadet
Definitely clean the points to a mirror finish and set their gaps to .020 at the high point on the cam. If you still don't have spark you most likely need condensers. If you have a dmm that has a capacitance function you can test them. The coils on those are usually good unless there is visible cracks or damage.

Is it common to see both condensers quit out on these engines? If 1 is blown will both be non operational?? Still pretty fresh to small engine repairs and trying to learn as much as I can

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 2 cylinders are completely separate as far as points / condensers and coils are concerned.-----One does not talk to the other one.

Shawn244

Cadet
Hmm,,,, any thought on the kill switch being disconnected fully not allowing it to spark??? Still having no luck

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you clean, degrease, and set the points? If you did that and still don't have spark you can take the condensers out and check for spark. If you have spark at that point, you know the condensers are bad. Do not run the motor without the condensers as it will fry the points.

Shawn244

Cadet
So I filed gapped and set the points without luck, they weren't bad to begin with however I wanted to make sure I cross all possibilities, also tried removing the condensers, and still no spark anywhere... are there any other options I can test without just throwing parts at it and sinking money on stuff that may not actually be the cause of the no spark issue