65 Evinrude 18hp problems

LuvMyNymph

Cadet
Hi All,<br /><br /> Just got this motor last week. AIt ran great at the seller's house in a drum, ran great again at my house in a drum. Just got back from the lake testing it out- heres what happened. Started on the third pull and backed it out. Shifted into forward and got to the middle of the lake when I lose forward. The shift lever just starts to rattle but everything is tight. So I figure I'll limp it back in reverse to the launch. (keep in mind its 8am on a Monday morning and I'm the only one out and getting nervous). I get almost all the way back to the launch (about 50 feet left) when the engine dies. I try to start it and its locked up. Thanks be I had my trolling motor with me (I wasn't going to take it) or I wouldn't have made it the 50 feet. Any ideas?<br /><br />Its a 1965 Evinrude-18hp model 18502<br />on a 14'Sea Nymph<br /><br />I'm hoping I don't now own a 18hp paperweight.<br />At least I still have a 4hp Johnson so I can still go out if the itch hits to fish (which is most of the time!)<br /><br />Thanks for any ideas.<br /><br />LMN<br /><br /><br />Update: Its three hours later now and I've let it cool down. I just went out to try to see whats what and the motor still seemed locked. I moved the flywheel by hand about 1/4" and then tried the pull start. Had compression . Opened the choke and it fired right up. When I shift it into forward the prop spins but doesn't seem fast enough. Any other info you guys need let me know. Hopefully it's minor and can be back out on the water by Friday.<br /><br />LMN

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 65 Evinrude 18hp problems

Drain the lower unit lube in an old paint roller tin. Observe it's color. If it is green or black, it is fine. If it looks like a peanutbutter milkshake,or gray or streaky, it has water in it. Run your finfger thru the goo, and feel for chunks of metal larger than a grain of salt. If you have major chunkage, you have gear damage. Smaller particles are normal. <br />You may need an inpact driver to get these screws out, and they will be labled "vent" and "Fill". Replace the screws gaskets before riding on out.

Rex

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 65 Evinrude 18hp problems

WHEN IT GET HOT AND STOPS ON YOU THAT MEANS<br />SOMETHING IN THE ELECTRIC PART OF THE SYSTEM<br />IS BAD.<br />THE LOWER UNIT CHANGE IT AT LEST TWICE<br />THEN SEE WHAT IT LOOK LIKE.<br />REX<br /> :( :eek: :(