'64 Sea King

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was trolling craigslist earlier and came across a Sea King for a decent price. Says he had it out last summer, but now it needs a new starter switch. Boat is actually up to date so that keeps the price down. Other than that it looks to be ready to go. I currently have a newer pontoon, but I've thought about picking up a project boat for awhile. Would this be something work picking up?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: '64 Sea King

We'll need some clarification. "Sea King", I believe, was a Sears and/or Montgomery Ward brand name they slapped on rebranded boats and motors. So we don't know if you're talking about an aluminum boat, a fiberglass boat, or even just an outboard motor.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

It simple says Sea King Classic. Boat looks fiberglass, and does have an outboard so they could be the brand of it too. Guy says he doesn't know much about boat, so wouldn't go into a lot of detail. He has no way to haul it any longer so that's why he is selling it. Other than needing to hot wire it currently it sounds about as sea ready as you could get for the price.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those weren't great boats when new, JJ. And 50 years old?? I am pretty sure I would pass at any price.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those weren't great boats when new, JJ. And 50 years old?? I am pretty sure I would pass at any price.

Ah ok then. It was only $400, so I thought it might be something worthwhile to pick up to play with.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

What motor?

From the pictures it looks like a Sea King. Guy says he doesn't know anything about boats, so I really have no info since I haven't gone and looked at it. I'm probably not going to now from the sound of it.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I would suspect he know a good more than he is willing to say cause he is selling it

ziggy

Admiral

sea king is montgomery wards best i know.

i know nothing of their boats other that i'm sure they were made by someone else, for montgomery wards. if they're anything like the o/b's. they could have even changed boat mfg.s through the coarse of the years.

my grandand had a wards 6 hp o/b. i don't know how many years it was used, but many years for sure. best i remember w/o much issues for the most part too. i don't remember that o/b going to the shop so ofter as some of the others we had. the one grandad had was a chrysler in discise i believe. i guess not to desirable. but it did last a long time....

fwiw. here's a boat for sale in my area now. http://lincoln.craigslist.org/boa/2753503557.html it don't look so bad imho. for a small boat. living it's life on big mac lake is pretty respectable too for it's sea worthiness. big mac can put many boats off the lake when the wind whips up. i neglected to get on it one day in a pwc for high wind and waves. i don't think i scare off easy either..

i'm with MH Hawker. never believe any seller. they may have motivation to lie at the very minimum.