'63 Rude 40HP Needs Low Speed Needle

Grain Boat

Seaman
Don't ask me why. Just suffice it to say that my low speed needle is shorter than it once was and now I fear that I may likely not be able to lean it out. Kits generally don't include this part and I've done some searching but if anyone knows where I can get one I would appreciate the info. I do have Twin City Outboard nearby and will likely call them Monday but if I can get a new one I would prefer that. In the mean time I'll just go back out to the shop and bang my head against the wall a few more times for good measure.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: '63 Rude 40HP Needs Low Speed Needle

I won't ask what happened...I think I know, though. <br /><br />If you're near Twin Cities Outboard, that's a good bet. It's unlikely your local OMC dealer is going to have the part for you on that old-timer.<br /><br />Without replacing it, you're going to have a heckuva time getting that thing to idle, I'm quite sure.<br /><br />Best of luck!

Grain Boat

Seaman
Re: '63 Rude 40HP Needs Low Speed Needle

Thanks for the response CATransplant. Wouldn't ya know that TCO is closed on Mondays. Ah well, I will find one if it kills me. I won't bore you with the details of my little "mishap", but I feel uniquely qualified to offer the following advice to other would-be do-it-yourself carb rebuilders: STRONGLY RESIST the urge to use a bench grinder on ANY carb parts! Actually, the low speed needle I had was already pretty bad but I just couldn't resist trying to touch it up.