61 Evinrude 40HP- no power/ burns tons of gas

Willyclay

Captain
Re: 61 Evinrude 40HP- no power/ burns tons of gas

The "cam follower"(roller) activates the throttle lever when it makes contact with the "throttle control cam" which is the plate with the shiney edge attached to your magneto armiture plate. Everything appears to be there as far as I can tell. FYI, the link&sync procedure insures that the carburetor does not open beyond idle until the ignition timing is significantly advanced or it will not make full power and may stumble under heavy load and acceleration.

To get it synchronized, you have to first align the scribe mark on the "throttle control cam" with the "pointer" on the manifold. On early model motors, that requires loosening screws on the armiture plate and adjusting the cam. The throttle must be held in the closed position while making this adjustment.

Your motor appears to be a later model that makes the same adjustment by loosening the clamping screw on the linkage. There is an eccentric bushing on the carb end of the throttle control linkage that makes the cam follower adjustment and removes all slack from the linkage. Refer to your manual for that procedure. Mine has pictures.

I believe that spring action you are feeling is the "fuel saver feature" that holds the ignition advance at maximum while the throttle is reduced. That clamping screw you pointed out in the video is where you make that adjustment. The proper adjustment requires that the armiture plate contacts the stop at the same time the speed control linkage "collar" engages the pivot pin. NOTE: This adjustment has nothing to do with the throttle synchronization!

See my signature before you buy into what I am saying because I make no claims of expertise. Good luck!

Last edited:

matth121

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ive read your signature a couple of times, lol. Everything you just described is in my manual too so i guess i can follow it. I'm pretty sure ive got the procedure down but the thing about holding the throttle closed has me a bit confused. Does that mean full closed or where its at now when i close it which is probably 10 or 15 degrees's short of closed. Also, when i loosen the clamping screw- will that then allow me to close the throttle by hand? Guess i need to go out there and try it. I'll let you know, thanks again

Willyclay

Captain

Does that mean full closed or where its at now when i close it which is probably 10 or 15 degrees's short of closed. Also, when i loosen the clamping screw- will that then allow me to close the throttle by hand?
I believe that means the throttle plate in the carb throat is supposed to be closed and, hopefully, adjusting the eccentric cam on the linkage will allow you to do that. Good luck!