61 Evinrude 18hp soot

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've had this motor for about 6 months. I noticed almost like soot deposits ( probably carbon) under the side where the exhaust cover is. I've cleaned it a couple times but it re-appears. Would it be one of the two gaskets on the exhaust? Can I leave it for now or should I discontinue use until it can be repaired? The bottom bolts look tough to get to. Thanks for any input.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 61 Evinrude 18hp soot

So you say the carbon is forming outside the motor? Must be an exhaust leak, probably the gaskets as you suggested. It is harmless unless there is so much exhaust leaking out that it is affecting the way the motor runs (because it is breathing it's own exhaust). Carbon on the INSIDE of the exhaust passages is completely normal and not a problem.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Where exactly is it coming from ?? The sides, top or bottom??

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. It is coming out the bottom and depositing on the lower cowling directly under the exhaust cover. It is not bad enough to affect the operation of the motor. There is only about 1/2" space between the cover and cowling, tough to get to & probably impossible to remove cover without pulling the powerhead. Any suggestions. I've plenty of time as we are frozen solid up here for another 2 months.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It's also a possibility it's coming from the power head gasket.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boobie do you mean the power head to leg gasket? Maybe I can slip something in there to separate the two, run the motor and determine what side the soot is coming from. Above or below indicating exhaust cover or power head to leg? I'll have to go have a look at it tomorrow and see. Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes. Try what you want to do and see what happens.