60hp Evinrude scored cylinder - How deep is TOO deep?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 60hp Evinrude scored cylinder - How deep is TOO deep?

Good job. Youre right on track.

zantz

Seaman Apprentice

:) I got my powerhead back. They were able to bore it to .30 and remove the scoring. Now the fun task of putting it back together. New pistons with rings, Gasket kit, and misc. items $540.00. I'm under a $1000.00 so far.<br /><br />What's the trick for getting the needle bearings to stay put while putting in the wrist pin?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'm sure you mean its bored to .030 (I hope!).<br /><br />Needle Bearing Assembly grease. You can get a tube from a Jon/Evin dealer. Do not use regular grease of any kind. Vasoline will work too.

zantz

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, .030, you are correct.<br /><br />Thank you for the tip. If I may bug you into an explanation of why not regular grease, and why vasoline is OK?

zantz

Seaman Apprentice

I have most of it put back together. The pistons in, the block together, the intake and carbs on. I just need to put it back on the base so I can finish.<br /><br />Total cost as of right now $623.84. Thanks to everybody for your help so far. I will have more questions as I get closer to starting it up for the fist time since I took it apart. :)

NathanY

Commander

Boy you sure got out cheap. It cost me $1986.64 to have mine bored and re-sleeved(1990 Evinrude 60hp). Did you figure out what caused the piston failure? Mine was due to a faulty VRO pump and faulty alarm ( did not come on ).

Crossflow235

Cadet

Zantz, I feel for you. I just finshed rebuilding my 1984 Evinrude 235 today. I had two scored cylinders, and the rest were worn out. One of my cylinders was scored so bad I had to have it re-sleeved. Total cost for all parts (new water pump, boysen reeds, wiseco pistons, all new bearings, sealing rings and gaskets) and machine shop work 1,600. Of course the cost would have been at least double if I would have paid someone to put motor together for me. Engine is running great! Idles fine, is quieter, and from what I can tell so far during break in process very responsive. Only complaint, overcomming temptation to let it fly!!<br /><br />This is my first outboard and it wasn't bad. Just pay attention to detail, take your time and check everything twice...<br /><br />The previous owner (or rebuilder), failed to read in the manual that the rods must be installed a certain way. :mad: The rods have a small oiling hole near the wrist pin that must face towards the top of motor so wrist pin bearings will be lubed. This caused wrist pins to become blue and for the pistons to expand, thus the premature wear, and scorring on two of the cylinders.<br /><br />For safe measure I am going to upgrade the VRO to the new OMS this winter. Existing VRO is working but it could be as old as 16 yrs. It was upgraded sometime in the past but who knows when.<br />I figure for the 260.00 its cheap insurance.. Plus I was reminded today when I filled up boat why I dont like to premix.<br /><br />Sorry for the long post. Good luck and have fun.<br /><br />SRP71 :)

zantz

Seaman Apprentice

Nate & SRP <br />First part of this long post is to Nate and second part is to SRP<br /><br /> I did check my VRO it is working just fine. However, after a lot of thought I think I figured out what happend.<br />The previous owner did not take very good care of it. He never winterized it or checked to make sure it was using oil. My guess is, old gas in the carbs got gummy and made #3 cylinder (that drives the VRO) lean out and start scoring. The loss of compression on #3 made the VRO pump less oil and the scoring on all cylinders got worse.<br /><br />During testing of the VRO, one test was alarm test. Being an electronics wizard I studied the wiring very close and figured out that the tach wire plays a very important part in the alarm system. If the motor in not above 2000 (just a guess on the RPM) the alarm system to check for oil flow is not activated. After I disconnected the oil side of the VRO and ran pre mix, the alarm worked when I was above wake speed. I do believe the VRO is in good working order, but it is one thing I will keep my eye on.<br /><br />SRP,<br />I got very lucky, they didn't have to sleeve any of the cylinders. My reeds were just fine so the only thing I've bought is Impellar, Pistons & rings, gasket set (includes carbs), upper main bearing, and misc. stuff you need to put it back together (gel seal, gasket seal). I feel I have gotten lucky.<br /><br />I can't remember who, but some one in here told me the secret about zip lock bags for the parts and I took plenty of pictures as I tore it down.<br />I find myself triple checking my work as I go and I know I will also be afraid to open her up after the break in period.<br /><br />My son sure has learned a lot. I'm glad I got the chance to show him what is entailed during a motor re-build. He had fun helping the weekends I have him.<br /><br />I've got the block on the base and need to finish the wiring and I can put it back on the boat.

zantz

Seaman Apprentice

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! :D <br /> Thank the Boat Gods!!<br />I've made a video clip to watch<br /><br /> Start up Video clip <br /><br />Thanks to all who helped!

G DANE

Commander

Good to see, great videoclip. <br /><br />There was a servicebulletin once about a problem these motors had when cruising at midrange rpm. Especially the center cylinder ran lean. Solution was to richen up the midrange jets. I dont think the VRO can underoil as long as there is vacuum enough to draw gas. On a toon you probably do some midrange cruising. I think you can search for an old post here, about problem.

zantz

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you Gdane, I will do that. Yes, I do a lot of mid-range crusing.

zantz

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again Gdane!<br /><br />Since I bought the boat & motor used I will pull the carbs and take a look to see what they are jetted at. The cooling hose is already on the top and I am using the recommended Champion plugs.<br /><br />Thanks again big time!<br /><br />I'd hate to ruin my brand new (rebuilt) motor.