60 PSI cold = how may hot?

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: 60 PSI cold = how may hot?

Air those tires up on a cool morning, then in the mid afternoon lay them directly in the sun for an hour and you'll see the difference it can make. Here in Ohio a 30 degree difference in ambient temp is common accurance let alone friction of the pavement at highway speeds. Another scenerio is your backed into the water and cool the tires, then come out and you heading down the road thats so hot you can't go in bare feet, I don't know the temperature pressure relationship of air in a tire, can't imagine it's all that much, now if it were some R410 then you'd be in trouble for sure.

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 60 PSI cold = how may hot?

So if he lives 3 miles from the gas station the air pressure will go up about 1 PSI. When is the last time you've ever seen ANY calibrated tire gauge??? You guys are worrying about something that is unmeasurable due to the limitations of your equiptment.

To answer your question "when was the last you've ever seen ANY calibrated tire gauge" ---THIS MORNING AT WORK. Just like the torque wrenches I use, calibrated regularly. The calibration tag was good until 11/09 on the tire gauge. I've worked on different equipment over the years that used any where from 8 psi to 235 psi of air in the tires, the gauge accuracy is important. Take a couple of minutes and Google calibrated tire gauges and you'll learn they are commonly used. Also search calibrating a tire gauge, it is not fuzzy science. In heavy equipment tires can cost thousands of dollars each and wearing them out prematurely is ignorance . In the commercial aircraft maintenance using a calibrated tire gauge is mandatory. The trailer ride under some guys $150,000 Intrepid Sportfish might make you his requested mechanic. The $500 set of tires under my car at 70 mph are important to me in the way they handle and respond. At Goober's shop "it don't make no difference", his 10 year old Kmart pencil gauge works just fine, he can stir his coffee & clean his ear with it. Heck he ant neber herd no big word lik calibration.