60 PSI cold = how may hot?

polk county

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 12" tires recommend 60 psi cold. The problem is that by the time I drive 3 miles to the gas station the tires are no longer cold. What is the answer in this situation?

Thanks

lowell7963

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 60 PSI cold = how may hot?

The rule of thumb is for every 10? Fahrenheit change in air temperature, your tire's inflation pressure will change by about 1 psi (up with higher temperatures and down with lower).

I'm not sure 3 miles makes that much difference unless they are way underflated. I assume when you check them at the station the pressure reading is higher. What do you read at the station?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I think the question is since he has to drive to the station and the tire says 60 cold what PSI should they be inflated to when warm.

I'd personally inflate them to 55-60

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Simple logic here. Check the pressure before you leave home. Check it again when you get to the station. Subtract the cold reading from the hot reading and inflate the tires to 60 PSI + the differential. If they had 55 PSI at home and 58 at the station, inflate them to 63 PSI (60 + 3 which is the hot/cold differential).

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

i dont think that three miles is gonna make a diffrence to the inside air the outside will be warm

reelfishin

Captain

If a three mile ride is heating up your tires, then you have more to worry about than just tire pressure unless their severely under inflated, and if their that soft, then you probably shouldn't be driving on them at all.

Pas Bon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Simple logic here. Check the pressure before you leave home. Check it again when you get to the station. Subtract the cold reading from the hot reading and inflate the tires to 60 PSI + the differential. If they had 55 PSI at home and 58 at the station, inflate them to 63 PSI (60 + 3 which is the hot/cold differential).

Ding Ding WE HAVE A WINNER!

That was by far the best answer!:)

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you using the same gauge at home and at the gas station or are you trusting a gas station gauge for being accurate?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Anybody that tows a trailer and does not carry a gauge "in the tow vehicle" is asking for trouble. Check pressure often. If the gauges you use are two or even three PSI different, it's not problem.

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tires should usually only gain about 4-5 psi EVER....if they are running hot enough to gain any more inflation, there is something wrong.

The max you should see in your tires is 65 psi after a long drive where they heat up, if they are at 60 psi cold.

Inflate your tires to the max sidewall rated pressure when they are COLD. At that rated pressure is where your tires are designed to operate, and only at that rated pressure are your tires able to support the load they are rated for correctly. If you see more than 5 psi of pressure gain, check your setup out completely and make sure your not over the rating for your tires/trailer.

RC

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tires should usually only gain about 4-5 psi EVER....if they are running hot enough to gain any more inflation, there is something wrong.

The max you should see in your tires is 65 psi after a long drive where they heat up, if they are at 60 psi cold.

Inflate your tires to the max sidewall rated pressure when they are COLD. At that rated pressure is where your tires are designed to operate, and only at that rated pressure are your tires able to support the load they are rated for correctly. If you see more than 5 psi of pressure gain, check your setup out completely and make sure your not over the rating for your tires/trailer.

RC

Do not inflate your tires to the max rated sidewall rated pressure. That is the max rated pressure they can go to at the max listed carrying weight. Inflate the tires to the pressure based on the amount of weight they are carrying. Which is normally given in the equipments owners manual. That displaces the tire contact on the pavement correctly. This is how you maintain even wear and safety. The same tire could carry different weights depending on what it is installed on, (different trailers and different boats on that same trailer).

lowell7963

Seaman Apprentice

This info comes from Tire Rack. I'm not certifying them as experts, but they do know tires and this information is similar to what I've seen elsewhere.

Next we evaluated the affects of heat generated by the tire's flexing during use. We tried to eliminate the variable conditions we might encounter on the road by conducting this test using our "competition tire heat cycling service" that rolls the tires under load against the machine's rollers to simulate real world driving. We monitored the changes in tire pressure in 5-minute intervals. The test tires were inflated to 15 psi, 20 psi, 25 psi and 30 psi. Running them all under the same load, the air pressure in all of the tires went up about 1 psi during every 5 minutes of use for the first 20 minutes of operation. Then the air pressures stabilized, typically gaining no more than 1 psi of additional pressure during the next 20 minutes. This means that even a short drive to inflate your tires will result in tires that will probably be under-inflated by a few psi the following morning.

45Auto

Commander

the air pressure in all of the tires went up about 1 psi during every 5 minutes of use for the first 20 minutes

So if he lives 3 miles from the gas station the air pressure will go up about 1 PSI. When is the last time you've ever seen ANY calibrated tire gauge??? You guys are worrying about something that is unmeasurable due to the limitations of your equiptment.

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do not inflate your tires to the max rated sidewall rated pressure. That is the max rated pressure they can go to at the max listed carrying weight. Inflate the tires to the pressure based on the amount of weight they are carrying. Which is normally given in the equipments owners manual. That displaces the tire contact on the pavement correctly. This is how you maintain even wear and safety. The same tire could carry different weights depending on what it is installed on, (different trailers and different boats on that same trailer).
that is for car tires the trailer tires are max cold and that us where the tire is able to handle that load i got a tandam axle the tires are sopossed to be 50psi cold thats what it is sopossed to be different trailer tires have different plys and the more plys the less air etc that is the recommend max pressure and theose tires should never get above 65 psi or uve got trouble my 50 psi tires only go up to 52-53 after about a hour of hauling at 55mph

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

that is for car tires the trailer tires are max cold and that us where the tire is able to handle that load i got a tandam axle the tires are sopossed to be 50psi cold thats what it is sopossed to be different trailer tires have different plys and the more plys the less air etc that is the recommend max pressure and theose tires should never get above 65 psi or uve got trouble my 50 psi tires only go up to 52-53 after about a hour of hauling at 55mph
Huh! Am I the only one that went crazy trying to read this?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I guess maybe the tire manufacturer doesn't know what they are talking about when they label the sidewall of the tire "inflate to xx PSI COLD".

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess maybe the tire manufacturer doesn't know what they are talking about when they label the sidewall of the tire "inflate to xx PSI COLD".
this is my point srry for the typing i was in a rush

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Perhaps the 14" Goodyear Marathons on our trailer are an exception, but they don't say to inflate to xx PSI cold. They say that the maximum load the tire can handle is 1870 lbs at 50 PSI cold. The weight on each tire on our rig is more like 1250 lbs, significantly less than 1870 lbs. I keep them inflated at 40 PSI per the dealer service department (couldn't find a placard anywhere telling me what the pressure should be).

Despite the challenge in reading Eshaw150's original post, I believe his point is still valid.