60 Lightwin 3 HP hard to fit Float into carb

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice
Engine starts a second now only when I spray fuel in carb. So I took the carb off again and saw very little fuel in bowl but also noticed that the float was bent. I realigned it and then noticed how tight the fit was when the bowl is installed again. Is there a trick to get this together without bending the float? I am wondering if I got the wrong float.:eek:

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 60 Lightwin 3 HP hard to fit Float into carb

Maybe so? Take a look at the pictures here:

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm

Could it be up-side down?

When you hold the carb upside down, the float should be parallel to the carb body; you will see this in the pictures.

Well I looked at the pictures and now I am unsure of myself. I been working on this motor for the past month in all my spare time and I sometimes "over-think" it. I will pull carb again when I get home from work and see if I installed it upside down. That would be way too simple. I hope that is what I did!

lindy46

Captain

The bowl will fit tight due to the nozzle gasket - in fact, the bowl bolts actually compress the nozzle gasket as you tighten them. The test to see if the float is working is to hold the assembled carb right side up and blow in the gas intake. Air should pass through. Now turn the carb upside down and blow again - air should not pass.

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Commander Lindy,
I was wondering how I could test it before I put it back on the block. Will try this afternoon when I get off work and let you know what I find.

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

OK...Had float in upside down. Put it in correctly. can blow air through gas line one direction and not the other. Still will only start when I spray fuel in air intake. Fuel is in bottom of carb just not making its way to top. See attached pics. Any ideas.

carb top view.jpgcarb view 1.jpgcarb view 2.jpg

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you pull the engine over a few times with the choke closed you should see liquid gasoline in the carb throat; assuming the engine has compression and the carb jets are open.

If you are not seeing that and you know the compression is OK...then it's time to open the carb again and aggressively clean the orifice where the main jet (18) goes and the main nozzle (41). See the picture:
Poke some wire through all that...spray and poke some more. Also be sure that the gasket that Commander Lindy is referring to is correct and in place. (#26). It's a thick gasket that; as Lindy says...has to be squeezed when the bowl is screwed down.

3HP_Carb.jpg

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a lot. I will re-clean those areas and let you know what happens.
I spent the evening discovering that there were tiny holes in those areas that you mentioned. I took a small needle and cleaned them real good. I put it back together and am going to attempt "ignition" this evening. Will let you know if it starts. I really think it is going to go now.

Last edited:

jamnn

Seaman Apprentice

SUCCESS! Started right up and ran like a Rabbit. I was so excited I took it out to the lake at 6 PM and motored around the lake for 2 hours.
Thanks for all the help. I learned a lot through this rebuild process.:)

kfa4303

Banned

awesome! happy boating. cool little RIB you got there.

lindy46

Captain

Cool! That little motor will probably run forever, and boy do they sip the gas.