60 hp mariner water in cowling

riverebel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1996 60 hp mariner on a fisher pontoon.I am getting water in the cowling some how.The cover is good and tight.I've looked while someone else drove with cover off and don't see where its coming from,but not at w.o.t.After about 1 hour of cruising it gets enough in bottom cowling to make it start dieing down to about 3000 rpm.It is not coming out of telltale hose.It is causing other problems too I think.Sometimes the power trim works by itself & the tach stops working for short periods.Please advise

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: 60 hp mariner water in cowling

The water entering the cowl could be from an outside source (the lake) or a gasket leak (your engine) If your motor is mounted too low or you have excessive spray on the transom it can enter the cowling at speed. You need to correct the problem before you run it any more, or a hydrolock can frag your engine. My money is on an external issue, but a pinhole leak from a gasket can also flood a cowling. Do you have a picture of your setup? Is this a new problem, or something you've been fighting for a while?

riverebel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

FP.....thanks for the reply.<br />i have checked t-stat housing & telltale for leaks.There is alot of spray on motor behind pontoon,but it dont actually look like its hitting up on the upper or lower cowling.I just purchased this boat 1 month ago & it is in the water at dock.I just purchased a trailor & will be pulling it out October 15th to maybe spray a water hose at it.I have just been going on short trips for now though.It takes about an hour to get enough water in there to make it start running bad.But any ideas till I bring it home will be welcomed.<br /> Thanks<br /> Charlie

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Any chance you can run the engine on water muffs..this should eliminate the spray of lake water at the engine.<br /><br />It would then be an internal engine problem if the water still shows up.<br /><br />TMD

riverebel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The boat is in the water right now.....But I can sit at a fast idle for a long time & see no water.When I come back from cruising it is puddled in bottom cowling & bottom of foam in hood is wet a little.<br /> Thanks<br /> Charlie

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Those motors have vent/drain holes in the lower engine pan. I'm betting that the spray from the toons is getting in there. se if you can fabricate a makeshift deflector around the motor and try it again. Also, check those drain holes to be sure they are clear. Slowly pour some water in the engine pan and see if it's draining.

riverebel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How many drain holes are there? I see 1 on the back end .Is there more ?Maybe I could plug them just to try it