6 year anniversary of quitting smoking, yay me!!!

ezbtr

Commander
Had to pat myself on the back - Happy sixth anniversary to me for being 100% smoke free after approximately 28 years a pack and a half a day, and I finally quit cold turkey!
😎
🥳
🎉
😁
And just had my physical, and I’m just a fine specimen of a young man!
🤣
🤪
😂
- what a coincidence that HEB is delivering groceries with a case of beer now !
🙂
Saved enough cash in 4-5 months to buy a almost new Remington 20 ga pump and a H&K Vp9 9mm pistol!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
what was your final fix!???? :)
Pack a day since high school. Went on a 3-day business trip with a non-smoking colleague. Didn't smoke out of courtesy.

Only craving came with my morning coffee. Got me thinking about the other 19 per day.

My office was right outside the exit to the smoking area. Started turning down "let's go have a smoke" invitations at work. Went from a pack a day to a pack a week.

Pregnant with daughter #2, Mrs. dingbat offered to approve the purchase of a new boat if I quit entirely for 6 months.

Three daughters, eight grand kids and one great granddaughter to date

ezbtr

Commander
Congratulations! Probably one of the best decisions you could make!
yeah, no more bronchitis, hacking goop up every a.m., (bad air on the waterfront didn't help), worrying if I had enough smokes for the day, EXPENSE!, stink, (others didn't like it (women - :) ) and less woorys about health, ALTHOUGH I gained about 15 lbs!!! (comes w/ retiring early too I guess)

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Congratulations. I'm addicted to nicotene gum. Got to go cold turkey or something.

alldodge

Staff member
Everyone is different need to find a way that will work for you. The largest part as we all know is mental, you have to want to quit, it's a drug

My method was keep telling myself these things will not have control of me, and was about a week of 2 puffs when things got real bad. I waited til it got real bad then light and take 2 puffs and put it out. It went from 2 hours at the start to 8 hours or so. Once I reached 8 hours I hung in there.

Remember it took almost a year to completely stop thinking about them

southkogs

Staff member
Congrats - to any of you who quit.

Dad died of the aftermath (MDS) of successfully beating lung cancer. Hallelujah - we got another 12 years with him after he beat it; but ultimately 40 years of smoking took him.

Never stop quitting that stuff.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I always told myself if you quit quitting yer nothing but a quiteer.

Tad over eight years for me. Wife switched to vaping.

alldodge

Staff member
Have one kid and one grand kid that vap's, wish they would quit but would rather see them smoke then vap

ezbtr

Commander
For me - you gotta drop this habit like a bad woman, ONCE, then run and no looking back....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Congrats on the Abstinence.
I too, just past a Milestone of 30 Yrs since I had any Alcohol.