6 HP Suzuki won't idle

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1986 6hp 2 cyl Suzuki that is not started very often and is used as an emergency Auxiliary motor. When I do run it @ once month in a barrel, it will run OK and then just stall. If I keep increasing the revs or use the choke, it will keep running, but leave it to idle and it quits. I have played with the pilot idle screw in the top of the carb and on the last 2 occassions have got it to run OK by twisting the screw all the way in and then back off about 1 turn. It is getting fuel from the pump but seems to be starving. What does the inward and outward adjustment do on that screw? I think that in is more fuel and out is more air.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: 6 HP Suzuki won't idle

inward makes it lean, and out makes it rich. <br /><br />sounds like you need a service maula and a carb rebuild kit! id bet the bank on it

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might lose the bank... I think the Pilot air screw P/N 132369-98300 is an "AIR" screw and if you turn it out it lets more air in (Leaner) if you srew it in, it restricts the air (Richer). I do have a Clymer manual but it is useless for this type of troubleshoot.

huanca

Cadet

carb cleaning! if you are careful and meticulate you can do it youself. gas leaves a gum residue which sticks in every little passage. tear it down and put it back together, the same way :)