6 hp evinrude early 80s

brownhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i recently got one its runs good at lower evlevations, but has periods when up higher like at 5000ft its trolling speed slows down then speed back up, why does it do that?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 6 hp evinrude early 80s

elevation, less oxygen. effects fuel/air mixture.

brownhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well duh silly! lol but from my expirence it means less power but not to the speed to bog down then speed up. im using 50-1 should i go 75-1 or something along those lines?

CATransplant

Admiral

Why would you change the oil mixture? That has nothing to do with how the engine runs. Leave it at 50:1.

However, the high altitude definitely affects the mixture between air and fuel, which is what was meant. There's less oxygen in the air at altitude, and the air is less dense. That makes for a richer mixture. (too much fuel...not enough oxygen) Try adjusting the slow speed needle slightly clockwise. That will lean the fuel out just a little bit, and may fix your surging. Not too much, mind you...it's not that lean. In 1/8 turn increments, turn the needle with the engine idling. When it gets to the point where it's running at maximum idle, it's a little too lean, so back it off a little.

Then, when you're back in lower altitudes adjust it back for that.

The folks answering you here know what their talking about. Leave the fuel:eek:il ratio alone, or you soon will have no engine to use at all.