5L to 5.7L 1995 Larson now has vibration

only_1

Cadet
I am curious if anyone has experienced a similar situation.
To start, I bought the boat as a pile of parts. It had a reman engine that had very low hours, but had been disassembled. He did not drain the block, so it cracked. I took the rotating assembly and put it into a new block, machined to match the old block. I assembled it and put it into the boat.
I got a vibration when it ran. I did compression check, and they were perfect. Spark at all cylinders was confirmed. Took the outdrive off to eliminate that as a contributor. Checked runout on the coupler. Swapped the harmonic damper with no change. All fine. Which is what I expected because other than the vibration the thing runs great. Vibration only occurs in the mid rpm range. Not very noticeable at idle or at high speed.
So I pulled the engine back out. Pistons with rods, bearings, caps and nuts had a weights ranging from 1449 grams to 1462 grams. Not great but not as bad I was expecting from the amplitude of the vibration.
This brings me to my question, do I take the assembly in to be rebalanced?
Have any of you bought a pre-balanced rotating assembly and dropped it into your block with success (no noticeable vibration)?
I don't know how the pre-balanced assemblies work with the mercruiser flywheel.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull the drive, the vibration may be coming from the drive

as far as pre-balanced rotating assembly, its a "spec balanced" rotating assembly. 13 grams is a large difference, however not as bad as it could be because its a 29 gram window for a "spec balance"

did you take the rotating assembly from a 5.0 and put into a 5.7? the cranks are different (different bobweights)

Bondo

Staff member
[h=2]5L to 5.7L 1995[/h] I took the rotating assembly and put it into a new block, machined to match the old block. I assembled it and put it into the boat.

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,....... So you took a 5.0l rotatin' assembly, 'n fit it to a 5.7l block,..??

If you've got it on the bench now, I'd haul it to yer favorite machine shop, 'n have it all balanced,.....
includin' the flywheel of course,.....

only_1

Cadet
pull the drive, the vibration may be coming from the drive

as far as pre-balanced rotating assembly, its a "spec balanced" rotating assembly. 13 grams is a large difference, however not as bad as it could be because its a 29 gram window for a "spec balance"

did you take the rotating assembly from a 5.0 and put into a 5.7? the cranks are different (different bobweights)

Sorry, I didn't fully explain. It was a 5.0 that was replaced with a 5.7l reman long block. So the crank, rods, pistons were all 5.7L components from that reman. I just put that entire rotating assembly into another 5.7l block that was machined the same way the cracked block was.
I did remove the outdrive and verified the vibration was in the engine.

only_1

Cadet
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,....... So you took a 5.0l rotatin' assembly, 'n fit it to a 5.7l block,..??

If you've got it on the bench now, I'd haul it to yer favorite machine shop, 'n have it all balanced,.....
includin' the flywheel of course,.....

Yeah, I am leaning toward having my current components balanced. I know it runs great with these items as it is. I already warned my machinist that I am probably bringing this mess his way. LOL

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
then take the whole thing to the machine shop to get balanced

your going to need new rings, gaskets and bearings.