59 Johnson Outboard - can I use steering wheel?

vin man

Cadet
I just joined the forum and have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed already. I just purchased a 15 foot tri-hull and I would like to remove the existing 50 hp Evinrude motor. The lakes that I plan to use my boat limit the engine size to 10hp. I have a very good operating Johnson 10hp outboard. I'm wondering if I can somehow set up this 10hp so that I can control the steering and throttle from the driver position where the steering wheel is as opposed to sitting by the motor and just controlling it as I've done when it was on the rowboat?

freddyray21

Commander
Re: 59 Johnson Outboard - can I use steering wheel?

they were designed so you could do that.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No it was a picture of a steering setup on an older motor. Must of been cached on my computer and now I can't go to it either. I have no further specific advice to offer :(

freddyray21

Commander

depending on the years of each motor the cables may work with the existing controls.

vin man

Cadet

depending on the years of each motor the cables may work with the existing controls.

That would be very nice. I just finished disconnecting the existing Evinrude 50hp outboard. I won't get to put on the 10hp Johnson until tomorrow. I'm pretty sure there is a spot on the Johnson for the steering linkage. I'm not so sure about the throttle and have no clue how I would operate the forward and reverse on the Johnson from the driver's seat.

But, If I can get the throttle and steering up front, I can always have my son be the my gear shifter!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ok here's that picture:

8_CamoWhaler13Transom.jpg

Since the little motor (not sure about the big one cuz I don't know the year) does not have a tilt tube, you'll need a clamp block http://www.iboats.com/Corrosion-Res...5764940--**********.611379388--view_id.192758

vin man

Cadet

I'm happy to say that my 10hp Johnson from 1959 worked very well. I was able to connect the steering linkage without issue and it worked fine.

I was unable to lock down the throttle cable with duct tape, chewing gum and wire ties, so I guess I'll be purchasing the clamp block. Thanks!

However, while trying to use the throttle cable that was with the boat, I guess the 40 year old plastic had had enough. When I went to put it on the Johnson, the hole snapped. You can see the break in these pics. I tried to JB Weld it (and Gorilla glue) and then use duct tape to let it seal, but as soon as I tried to put it back on the motor, it broke again.

linkage1.jpg

linkage2.jpg

linkage3.jpg

Before I place the order for the Clamp Block, is there a replacement piece for the throttle end that I can also order? If not, I'll just use a piece of metal with two holes in it and utilize the screw that was holding the metal cap on at the end of the plastic throttle body.

Thanks again!

vin man

Cadet

As I look at your picture, I see the clamp block is for the steering linkage. I can see that that will give me even better steering control than I currently have without it.

I had thought that the clamp block was going to be for the throttle. Right now, that is what I am struggling with - a way to lock down the throttle cable so that I can use the throttle control lever at the driver seat. In the picture below, there looks to be some type of clamp on the bottom part of the motor. What is that clamp? I'll save the pic, draw a circle around the part in question, and repost.

Ok here's that picture:

Since the little motor (not sure about the big one cuz I don't know the year) does not have a tilt tube, you'll need a clamp block http://www.iboats.com/Corrosion-Res...5764940--**********.611379388--view_id.192758

See the circled area - I need some way to mount the cable to the outboard:

vin man

Cadet

I went to the local Marine store yesterday and picked up a few different hardware kits. The store employees were quite helpful. The told me that I could return the items that I would up not using, so I purchased a bunch of options for the replacement for the end of the throttle cable as well as a couple of universal clamping kits for the cable. We'll try it out this weekend and I'll post up my results.