59 evinrude water problems(from previous posts)

59lido

Seaman Apprentice
I have posted a couple of times about a cooling problem I was having wwith my 59 evinrude 35 lark. I think I the lower unit is wrong one for this motor though it dose bolt up fine. It has an insert for a water tube and there is no tube and nowhere for it to connect to motor. I am going to attach a couple of photos to show what I have. I was told I could plug the hole and run it would work. If anyone could give suggestions that would be great.

Attachments

• bootfoot 003a.jpg
    bootfoot 003a.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 0
  • bootfoot 004a.jpg
    bootfoot 004a.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
  • bootfoot 005a.jpg
    bootfoot 005a.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 0
  • bootfoot 001a.jpg
    bootfoot 001a.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 0

pduquette

Ensign
Re: 59 evinrude water problems(from previous posts)

Hi 59lido .
I'm pretty sure there should be two tubes . I scanned my Selco manual
but didn't get a definite answer . I have a Golden Jubilee under my work bench . I'll pop off the bottom for a peek in the morning .
When I got mine it was over heating too . A common problem is an aluminum heat exchanger between the waterjacket and exhaust . the one on mine had buckeled in on itself blocking water flow and trapping derbris . They were only used on '58 + '59 .
PeterD

freddyray21

Commander

I don't have a scanner here, but my manual shows two tubes.

freddyray21

Commander

there is a bend in them, but you can probably get the right size copper tubing from a hardware store and to the bends yourself. It won't cool without them

59lido

Seaman Apprentice

I do have 2 tubes from the water pump to the motor. The inlet that I have a question about is the one in the foot that the arrow is pointing to. It has a rubber gromet for a tube but has no where that I can see for a tube to connect to the motor. That inlet has a hole that connects to the inlet for the suction side of the water pump. It seems to me that it would not build pressure with that inlet open.

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

in the first picture, do you know where that gromet hole leads to? If it goes down to the water pickup behind the prop then that needs to be tied into the water pump as well. how good are you at sweating copper? but if it just leads to the water discharge side of the lower unit casting then i would just leave it open
I did not go back and read your last post but are you sure you are getting it low enough into the water so it has the best chance to grab the water? I use a big rubbermaid trash can and fill completely it up

freddyray21

Commander

I have an old manual that shows in the 33 and 40hp lower unit an extension to make a long shaft motor out of a short shaft. the extension has a post that the grommet would line up with. I am guessing it is your water exit hole and if you put an extension in you need that grommet.

freddyray21

Commander

In reading your other post and looking at my manual I want to modify my last post. The 40 hp lower unit of the same vintage shows a different pump that is feed by a tube coming from about where your's shows. The 40 hp pump also has two water lines going out of the pump. I am wondering if some replaced the lower unit, but put a pump on from the old unit. I am just guessing though as my manual is not that exact either.

freddyray21

Commander

it looks like in your pic there is a line going from the pump to a hole next to the one with the grommet. It is possible that the grommet needs to be seal that if left open its allowing the water pump to suck air instead of water. I am all over the board here with guesses, but I would pull the pump and the inlet tube leading to the pump to see if those two holes are connected. If they are I would plug the mystery hole and see if the pump will pump water. If it doesn't pump water quick shut if off and don't run it hot.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OK, here's the deal: You have a gearcase that was used only for two years, 1969 and 1970. I was visualizing in my mind the gearcase that was used only one year, 1968, in my previous replies.

Up through 1968, there were two water tubes going up to the powerhead, one for water going up and the other to return the water to the pump for recirculation when the thermostat was closed. Those two tubes would be what goes into the two grommets in the pump housing.

Pre-1968 the water inlet from the lake to the pump was cast into the gearcase. In 1968, the water inlet from the lake was changed to a copper tube.

In 1969-70, the water inlet from the lake was still a copper tube, but the return tube from the powerhead was routed to a second grommet down at the lakewater inlet. That is the second grommet at the arrow that you are looking at. And it is why there is no tube for it because your return tube is still going to the water pump housing.

So, to wrap it all up, I would agree that if you just plug the grommet at the arrow, it should work. I have never personally run into the situation, nor tried it, but see no reason why it should not work by plugging the hole.

Hope this gets it all straightened out.

59lido

Seaman Apprentice

I do think the lower unit was changed before I bought the boat. It was suggested in one of my earlier posts that it was possibly off of a 1968 motor. If so will it work on my 59. The mystery hole is connected to the water pump inlet beside it and also has its own inlet from above prop but it seems to be pluged with some sort of stainless plug. I have decided to plug off the mystery hole with a copper pipe that I crimped and soldiered the end. I don't know wether it will stay or not but I'm going to try it. I also have another question as well. The pics I posted of the thermostat housing shows everything that was there when I removed it and other than the thermostat what else am I missing?

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

you are missing the pressure valve (little round plastic thing), a pressure valve spring, a thermostat, and a cover gasket. almost forgot, there is an o-ring just below the black plastic thing to make it seal to the case

i think thats everything

you should be able to start it with all that removed and see water shootin out the top of the housing. you can only run it that way for a short time though.

pduquette

Ensign

Hi all.
I did get to open mine up today and I've got the other/older style pump and housing . Mine is open to the water . - Honestly , I always thought mine was a swapout because it's Johnson white . I took a few pics but need to resize <new cheepo dc new software > let me know if you need to see 'em .
peter

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If you want great free resizing software go to irfanview.com and download their free software...

59lido

Seaman Apprentice

" High Five Guys " !!! I have water flowing!!! I pluged the " mystery " hole with a 3" piece copper tube that I crimped and soldiered. I put it all back together and started motor with thermostat housing off. Water was flowing great. Shut motor off and reinstalled housing and started back up. I had water coming out of every place it is supposed to. Looks great !! As you can tell I'm alittle excited about this working. It was getting close being put out by road with for sale sign on it. Aready happened once and the plus side to that was it only took about 5 minutes for someone to call and ask about it. Now all I need to do is get the starter repaired so I want have to pull start and maybe a trip to the lake tomorrow. Hope it floats. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I'm sure I will be posting in the future as I have one other boat I'm refinishing a 1957 wooden Meteor speed boat. Again thanks.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Way to go!

Another way to test the LU that I use is to submerse it in a bucket of water and then spin the driveshaft with a half inch drill and see if water comes out the tube. It works well for a simple test.