58 Evinrude 7.5 tiller adjustment

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
The tiller of my 58 Evinrude 7.5 is too easy to turn. I'm afraid if I leave my had off the tiller the motor will just 'flip' where it wants (very flexible). Most motors I've dealt with have a screw that you can tighten/loosen to adjust the movement. I can't find anything on this motor for an adjustment. Is there one? thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes there is a screw that you can tighten to make it harder to tilt up.-----Or there is a tapered friction block in the grip to make TURNING the grip harder, so it stays steady.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Yes there is a screw that you can tighten to make it harder to tilt up.-----Or there is a tapered friction block in the grip to make TURNING the grip harder, so it stays steady.
Thanks for the reply! Tilting it up is not a problem nor is turning the twist grip. Hope I'm describing it right but it's like if you let your hand off the twist grip instead of staying fairly on course it would just flip around. Hope this description helps. Most motors have something on the mid section that allow you to tighten or loosen the 'steering'

tphoyt

Ensign
Your right. There usually is a tension screw with a spring on it. Is it possible it fell out or snapped off? I’m not completely familiar with this model.
Best

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Doesn't look like there's a tension screw. The motor has had very little use and I can't find where it may have fallen off from. I'm hoping it has one.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Take motor off your stand.-----Look between the transom clamps to find the adjusting screw.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well----There is a tension screw installed at the factory.-----Look for it and find it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Hunker down and peer between the clampscrews, right above the transom. The co-pilot screw (steering friction screw) will be looking right back at you

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Racerone: Thanks! Took the motor out of the test tank and it was just where you described it. Thought it was an odd place but it is what it is. Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The motor is 64 years old.-----Pretty well all metal and no fragile plastic parts.-----Some still run like new.-----A very good design I would say.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
The motor is 64 years old.-----Pretty well all metal and no fragile plastic parts.-----Some still run like new.-----A very good design I would say.
It's my go to motor; that it or my 1962 Johnson 10 that I use on my local lake with a 10 hp limit. I bought it for $25 and it was only used by a duck hunter; not much use. I recently replaced the impeller; pain since you have to remove the power head but well worth it. You're right; a great design! Thanks for the help!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fact.-----Removing the powerhead on the 7.5 allows you to service the critical mechanical seal at the top of the driveshaft.-----And also that feature means that there is no shift rod connecter to mess up.-----Clutch dog is always engaged correctly !!