'58 BigTwin 35 sealing impeller housing and lower unit questions

sccasey

Recruit
Newbie here. Got water in the gearcase housing when I started the BigTwin I restored this winter. Rechecking everything and seems like I was supposed to seal the impeller housing? Shows no gaskets in the manual diagrams, so I am assuming I should have used sealer below impeller plate (where it sits on the gearcase housing) and on top of the impeller plate (where the impeller housing sits)? Can anyone confirm?

I am also planning on replacing the rubber bushing that seals the water tube where it fits into the impeller housing. How important is it to replace the shift rod o-ring and gasket that are located under the bushing in the bottom side of the gearcase housing? Not sure how I'd pull the bushing (looks to be brass) to get to the seal and o-ring.

Many thanks in advance for any help. Motor is mounted on a '59 MFG Celeron that I also restored and I'd like to get in the water this year!

Steve C.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I replaced the o-ring on a 9.5 hp WITHOUT removing the shift rod bushing couple of weeks ago.-----Same set up as a 40 hp model.----Shift rod bushing is a major leak point.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sealer should be applied under the pump plate, but not above. However, that has nothing to do with water getting into the gearcase. Neither do the water tube grommets.

racerone replaces the shift rod seal without removing the bushing. The rest of us remove the bushing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have the tools to remove the bushing.----All I am saying is that it can be done with bushing in place.