'57 Lark broken bolts

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
I thought I would just vent a little. I got back to restoring my '57 Lark today by further breaking down the powerhead. I broke three bolts...two head bolts and one decompression cover bolt. This is addition to the three I broke removing the powerhead from the mid section several months ago. The good news is I was able to remove every bolt from the exhaust cover! :)

Not much can be done except take it a machine shop....just thought I would vent and share my pain!

Mas

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: '57 Lark broken bolts

You can drill em out and tap em. It takes patience but it can be done. Is any of the broken off part sticking out at all as I've had success with MIG welding a nut on the stud sticking out and then backing it off.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '57 Lark broken bolts

Well, the head bolts broke flush with the top of the head...making the head very difficult to remove...and the decompression cover bolt has just a nub sticking out so I might be able to thread a nut on.

I gave it a rest yesterday & today I'll try to remove the head. Once removed, I'll have the entire shank to work with. I might try applying a bit of heat to see if thing will loosen up.

Both of the head bolts (2 of 10) were in the center between the heads.

Sorry...no TIG welder here.

Mas