'55 johnson, where do these go?

breeze

Cadet
I disassembled my motor a year ago and I'm finally putting it back together. When I took the intake off these 2 brass rings fell out(or off) it. Does anyone know where they go? I'm thinking in the recesses for the pressure relief flaps (where pencil is pointing), only because I see what looks like fine circular wear patterns where the intake mounts on the motor. However the service manual does not show these 2 rings anywhere in the diagrams.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Attachments

• brass rings.jpg
    brass rings.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 0
  • valve plate 2.JPG
    valve plate 2.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 0

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '55 johnson, where do these go?

I agree. If they fit in there, that's where I'd put 'em:)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Which '55 Johnson is it? I might have the parts manual that you can look at. Send me a PM if so.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I believe they are spacers #10. Goes between the flat spring and leaf plate, surrounding the screws. Question is how did they get out of there?

Attachments

• Temp pressure valves.jpg
    Temp pressure valves.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0

bktheking

Vice Admiral

They are spacers for the valve spring, they don't go it the holes they go on the front between the spring and screws and the reed plate.

This is my 10hp showing where they go.

img3876k.jpg

You must have taken them off and forgot to put em back.

breeze

Cadet

Well, I guess subscribing to a thread didn't work. None of this has hit my email, or else I would have answered you guys. Sorry about that.

But thanks for clearing that up for me. Someone, previous to me, must have incorrectly reassembled things. I never removed the flat spring (didn't have a reason to), and when I pulled the plate off my motor the spacers hit the floor.

This is not the first incorrect reassembly I've found on this motor. When I first got it, it would slip out of gear. Turns out there was supposed to be a retainer clip inside the gear box on the prop shaft to hold everything in place tightly. It has one now. :D

Live & learn.