55 hp lower unit

tsinger

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Messages
2
I have a 1982 Chrysler 55 hp motor. I was told that I need a new clutch and forward gear, that they are wearing out. I can't seem to locate the parts. The boat dealer claims that they can't get the replacement parts. I looked on ebay for a lower unit, but they didn't have one for a 82 55hp motor. HELP!!
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: 55 hp lower unit

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />The clutch is available from any Mercury dealer, part number 52-819259T $70<br /><br />aaa outboard motors may have the gear(s) (352) 795-9630<br />or try Franz's Marine Service (816) 966-8085<br />or twin city outboard 952 496-1951.
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: 55 hp lower unit

A machine shop might be able to fix your old parts by refacing the clutch and gear dogs. If you get new gears you will have to have them shimmed. Typically when a gear or clutch wear out the edges get rounded and causes slipping. Re facing these edges will make them like new.
 
Top