55 HP Chrysler outboard HELP!!

Timmah

Cadet
I have....I THINK it's a 1973 but it might be a 1974 Chrysler 55 HP outboard motor. The Model # is 555HF. I can't seem to find parts for the 555HF (points and Condenser)...all the parts I can find is for a 555HG. The points for the 555HG will not work for mine. Anybody have any idea where I can find points and condenser?Any help would be much appreciated...Thank you in advance.

Nordin

Commander
Sounds odd that 555HG parts not fit 555HF, but maybe the differens between them is that one is magneto point ignition and the other is battery.

Try Franz Marine, if he do not have them nobody have.

wickware

Lieutenant
No Title

Post a picture of your setup. This is mine posted of 1970 35 HP Chrysler. I purchased the boat and engine used in 1984-85. I changed points/condenser out of old habits (form cars). I doubt they were bad (pitted) since the motor ran well (or slight hesitation that cleaning points solved from then on). I have not changed since vs file or emery cleaning or dressing. Low use could have contributed since I only burned 6-12 Gals of gas per summer.

My 35 HP could be the same as your 55HP externally if you have one carb vs two. 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System.JPG 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System 2.JPG

Attachments

• photo100544.jpg
    photo100544.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 2

Timmah

Cadet
Thanks for the replies....I'll post a picture as soon as I can. It's not magnito point ignition...it has a starter and solenoid....if that is the difference? I'll call Franz Marine tomorrow and see if he has anything. I had ordered points and condenser last week...received them on Friday...tried to install them and they didn't line up at all. I might just end up using the emery cloth method if I can't find the points I need. By the looks of the pix...I have the same carb...I only have one as well.

Nordin

Commander
From where have you bought your points and condensers?
I am pretty sure Franz Marine has the right points and condensers.
They are not cheap and Franz is not cheap either BUT you get the right parts.

You says your engine do not have magneto points ignition, BUT what you see in the pics from wickware IS magneto point ignition!!

Magneto point ign. use magnets which is in the flywheel to create a magnetic field in the coils which is mounted under the flywheel.
The field collapse when the points open and cause voltage in the secondary winding in the coil and the sparkplug sparks.

Battery ignition work as the magneto typ BUT is feed from a battery instead of magnets.

Larger Chrysler OB from 20Hp and up to 55Hp had electrical starter with both magneto and battery ignition, BUT the magneto version did not have an alternator.

Timmah

Cadet
I bought the points and condenser from a place in Milton Florida...his name is Bill Kelly and business name is MasterTech Marine...nice guy. He told me he found the points somewhere else and they cost $115 a piece. I'm not gonna spend that kinda money unless I can't clean them with emery cloth. I will call Frantz Marine later today and see if he has them and what they cost. I'll put some pix on here later today and let you see what my setup looks like....mine don't look like the pix you put on here. Thanks for the reply!!!

Timmah

Cadet
No Title

Here's a few pix....please tell me what ya think if ya don't mind...Thanks!!

Attachments

• photo240035.jpg
    photo240035.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo240036.jpg
    photo240036.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo240037.jpg
    photo240037.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo240038.jpg
    photo240038.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo240040.jpg
    photo240040.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 0

Nordin

Commander
That is battery point ignition. Partnumber for the points is F12329-2.
Mastertech website says no longer available. Check with Franz Marine if he has them.

Timmah

Cadet
I called Franz Marine yesterday...he no longer has the points I need and stated they are no longer manufactured anywhere....he sold his last set last year for $23 a set. I'll call Valley sales Monday....thanks Jerry. I've cleaned my old points up and they look pretty good...I'll just use them as long as they last. Thanks for everything guys!!

tommarvin

Ensign
You need a factory service manual, and I know where to get it for a fair price,
I am going to try and send you a private message,with info
tell me if you receive it

Timmah

Cadet
tommarvin....I received the message...I already have a service manual ....but thank you anyway. I'll give Sea-way a try as well...thanks again!!