'54 evinrude 25hp troubles

jbjennings

Captain
Re: '54 evinrude 25hp troubles

I think I've read something about this a few months ago and of course it is a bad thing to do but here goes:

Those 25hp gears/ears are big enough that I took a dremel tool bit and chucked it in my drill press and held the gear under it and tried to "machine" the gear ears back to 90 degrees. The clutch dogs weren't very bad. Weird.
Anyway, I was wondering if it might work for a decent amount of hours? Is the gear just surface hardened and when you sand it down or cut it down you lose the temper? Is the gear "case hardened"? If so, could you heat it up with a mapp gas torch until it's just about to glow red and quench it with some mineral oil or water and get it rehardened? Or is that not hard enough? I'm sure it probably has to be done just right so the gear doesn't shatter so I'm not going to add any heat unless someone's tried it before and had good results.
Either way, I'm going to put it back together like this until I get some new gears and see how it works. I do like the 25 a lot now that it's running pretty good. It will start on one pull when warm but is not super easy to start. Not super hard to start, luckily. It does run pretty nice for a 25hp. I'm dying to get it in good shape. I've got my new seals in but I'm not gonna use 'em until I get some good gears for it.
Later,
JBJ

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I've always wondered also if you could heat up and/or re-temper, work on the dog/gears etc to fix em up instead of tossing em all the time. I'm not a metal worker so don't know but someone must know?

jbjennings

Captain

I guess I'll never know because I broke a gear bushing. Also, the circlip was broken in three pieces when I took the gear set out. So, I'm waiting to find a new set. I've got my trusty AOMCI helpers working on it!:) I'm getting the urge for a green '55 25 like cc67 has.
I did get those gear ears looking pretty darned good--would have liked to try it out and see how it worked. I would think a machinist could really dress those up flawlessly and can't see why it wouldn't work. Also, it seems like it shouldn't be rocket science to re-temper the steel if you just new what temp. to get it to and how fast to cool it.
Later,
JBJ

I found this thread helpful. Thanks for the info guys. I have been working on the low speed idle cough problem on a Johnson QD 16 (1955 10hp) and could not solve it. I am going to look at the donut gasket as I call it on the high speed tube and see if that solves the problem. THis must be a very comon problem because I remember the 1957 18hp evinrude that I ran as a kid had the same problem. It is a real pain when you can't troll and have to run the boat in reverse to get a decent trolling speed.

BAO

Cadet

Hey guys just to interject here these can troll along nice and slow I bought one for $50 evinrude big twin e start. Hadnt been run in god knows how long. Sitting in the grass outside for years. All i did was new coils and new solenoid for starter and have been driving it ever since without fail. Keep playing with it you will get it tuned nicely

BAO

Cadet

sorry mine was a 56 also a 53 15 horse

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Hey guys just to interject here these can troll along nice and slow I bought one for $50 evinrude big twin e start. Hadnt been run in god knows how long. Sitting in the grass outside for years. All i did was new coils and new solenoid for starter and have been driving it ever since without fail. Keep playing with it you will get it tuned nicely

$50 is a good deal. I recently got a '54 Johnson 25 and it idles quite nicely and I have so far done nothing to the carb although I have a kit on order.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

If I may be so bold, I'd suggest a new water pump impeller also or your happiness in finding an inexpensive outboard may be short lived. It'd be a shame to see it burned up after all this time. My apologies of course if you've already done that and just listed the tune up related stuff in your post.

Cheers..................Todd

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

This is what the impeller on my '54 Johnson 25 looked like when I got it. It didn't pump a drop. And they're weird pumps, there's no water tube to go to the powerhead.

Attachments

• Broken Impeller.jpg
    Broken Impeller.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 0

BAO

Cadet

Mine is a 56 and choke works on 12v

BAO

Cadet

ya that one is obvious but thanks I have been running it without fail for 2 seasons now

BAO

Cadet

they dont build them like this anymore hey

BAO

Cadet

beautiful rude in the background thats how mine should look just havent got around to painting it yet