'54 Evinrude 15 hp compression

trebot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tried compression test on my barn find. 0 on both cylinders. Is there a compression relief on this motor? If not, guess next step is check head gasket. Any thoughts?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A compression release reduces compression, but not to zero. A motor needs compression to start.

Head gasket and looking for holes in the pistons is a starting point. Can you try the compression test on another motor in case it's the gauge?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
First put penetrating oil/brake fluid/powersteering fluid or tranny fluid in the cylinders and let it sit overnite. Re-check compression then if still 0 take off the head I would also have a second gauge to double check.

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do not put brake fluid in the cylinders, it can eat your seals away

trebot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pulled cylinder head and pistons weren't moving. Someone had failed to install the woodruff key on the crankshaft/flywheel and the flywheel turned but the crank doesn't. Find a woodruff and try again.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm probably about to state the obvious, and I apologize if this is already known to you, but reading your last post..
​It's crazy the key wasn't installed.. lol

​The woodruff key is not what makes the flywheel turn the crankshaft.. It's having the flywheel nut torqued properly, and having good mating surfaces on the tapers..
​The key really just aligns the flywheel on the crankshaft for ignition timing purposes.. It's the torque and taper mating surfaces that hold the flywheel in place on the crankshaft..

​Clean mating surfaces and a torque wrench are a MUST if you don't want to shear a key in the future.. (Once it's installed that is.. haha.. )

​Again, I apologize if you already knew that.. (Betting you did already know that),
​But just wanted to be sure.. lol

For what it's worth...

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Crankshaft and flywheel tapers must be clean and dry with out any type of lube on them and as already said torqued to the right value.
Mike

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
So you may have no compression issues, right? That's good news. Need to try to find an OEM flywheel key for proper fit.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
That's good news. What I figured, pretty rare you get both cylinders with 0 compression!

Someone was likely just working on it, dropped the flywheel on and it has sat like that for years. Might end up being a good find.

trebot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Shot some fuel in the carb and she fired on both cyl. Rebuilding carb, water pump and lower gear case. Think I found a sweet motor.

trebot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
90-95 with old head gasket. Replacing head gasket, looks pretty rough

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Have a new head gasket in hand before pulling off the head cover (trouble finding one for a 10hp I have). But when you get one, refinish the cover to take out any minor warping -- piece of maybe 400 grit wet/dry paper on a flat surface, maybe a piece of glass. Move the mating surface in a figure eight pattern until all surfaces are equally shiny.