5200 Usage Help

ConchPirate

Seaman
A couple of questions about 5200 use.
1. Is the Fast Cure as strong a bond as the 7 day Cure product?
2. If using the 7 day Cure product, say to fill some screw holes removed from a transom or applying starboard to use for mounting transducers, can it get wet in the water once it has had a couple of days drying time (No torque or use pressures) or does it have to stay completely dry for the entire 7 days before it can get wet at all?

TIA

alldodge

Staff member
Not sure if fast is as strong as slow, probably not but should not be an issue in your case because of there will be next to no load. Don't know if I would get it wet before fully drying, unless another knows, maybe email 3M

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Actually water accelerates the cure of the slow cure 5200. Last time I looked at the info at 3M they said misting with water speeds the cure.

5200 has the consistency of syrup and will run out of a screw hole. I fill, mist and put a piece of tape over the repair to stop the running and trim with a razor blade after the 7 days.

For the Starboard I would wait the 7 days since it's an air cure and will cure from the outside in. Misting will help, but you can't mist behind the Starboard.

I've only used slow cure, so can't comment on bonding strength of the fast cure.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Old school here. I mount my UHMW panel with screws into the transom, sealed of course with 5200. Its ready to go right away. Then, the speedo, transducer mounts, etc. are screwed into the "panel" with no need for additional sealing.