50hp on 24' too weak?

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
130
Replacing the motor on a 24 ft toon, smaller logs, and wondering if 50hp would be too weak for lake boating with full load? Thanks for any advice
 

Silvertip

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Messages
28,772
Re: 50hp on 24' too weak?

So what is a full load? But yes -- probably not enough power to get anywhere at anything resembling "quickly".
 

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
130
Re: 50hp on 24' too weak?

just some people and coolers, thanks for the info
 

Linda L

Recruit
Joined
May 30, 2010
Messages
5
Re: 50hp on 24' too weak?

I've got a 50 hp on a 19 ft Suntracker I bought last month. It does fine for my size boat, but I think you need something bigger for a 24 ft. I'm sure your 24 ft is rated to carry at least 4-6 more people than my toon is. Add the extras like coolers, and you'd be moving awfully slow with a full load powered by a 50 hp.
 

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
621
Re: 50hp on 24' too weak?

Depends on your use. If its a smaller lake and you are never more than a few miles away and never need to pull a tube or skier than 50hp is plenty. A 50hp on a loaded 24' is sufficient for maneuvering putting around, I wouldn't go much smaller. I was on a 24' that had a 25hp and on a windy day that motor just didn't have enough oomph to keep the boat going the direction you wanted. If your on a bigger lake and can wander 5+ miles way I'd personally put the biggest engine listed on the capacity plate that I could just for the ability to get back to the dock as fast as possible if a storm or medical emergency came up.
 

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
130
Re: 50hp on 24' too weak?

Thanks for all the input, think I'll stay in the 85-115 range just to be safe (max rating 115). On a pretty large lake and don't want to be shopping for another motor next year
 

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
51,019
Re: 50hp on 24' too weak?

go 115. i have a 140 on a 20 ft.
 
Top