50 hp 4 stroke pilot/idle jet

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 50 choked on some bad gas and now I have the carbs apart. Looked at the idle jets and at least one of them was plugged up with garbage.. My question is this: Inside the jet tube is a web of what looks to be made of brass. How they get this in there is quite the deal. Now Merc says don't drill out jets, but what's with this web inside the jet and if I put my 56 wire drill thru it and wipe the webbing out what will happen? what's with the webbing? What's it's purpose?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 50 hp 4 stroke pilot/idle jet

Probably to assist in breaking up the small amount of fuel that is passing through the jet. Helps vaporize it is my guess. If Merc says don't do it, I wouldn't. Use compressed are or aerosol carb cleaner to clean out the crud.

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

The jet passage is real small, like a # 56 wire drill size. How do they get that web up into the passage? Got 4 on order from Merc. Didn't drill em out but was real tempted.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Why do you want them out? Removing the web will change the flow characteristics of the jet which is probably why they don't want the material removed.

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had to pull the carbs off twice now and I know why the jets were plugged the first time. The second time I had bad gas that plugged the jets and especially the idle jets. I sprayed and wired out the crap the first time and it never really idled like it should have. It makes sense that the flow characteristics are critical because these puppies are so small. Sticking wire thru them I imagine screwed them up the first time. I'm not taking a chance and so I've ordered 4 new jets. Will keep informed.