50 Evinrude sunk & revived

gdoss2005

Cadet
Re: 50 Evinrude sunk & revived

Thanks to Alden and friends. Things are looking better to this novice. Will let you know what happens.<br /><br />South GA Redneck

bay rat

Cadet

i have a 1987 evenrude 88 spl. it has a lot of hours onit.it hasnt been running right so i pulled it out for the season.i tested the compresion three have about 120 psi the fourth has about 90 psi. i pulled the heads off and the one piston looks like it was beat up with a hammer.the inside of the head has gouges in it.what would cause this?if its heat can i run it with no thermastats?should i just replace one piston or all four?and can some one email me a manual or just some pictures how to take it apart? so far i have the heads off now im getting nervous if the rebuild doesnt work itll be a new engine with my tax return.thanks

bay rat

Cadet

Originally posted by bay rat:<br /> i have a 1987 evenrude 88 spl. it has a lot of hours onit.it hasnt been running right so i pulled it out for the season.i tested the compresion three have about 120 psi the fourth has about 90 psi. i pulled the heads off and the one piston looks like it was beat up with a hammer.the inside of the head has gouges in it.what would cause this?if its heat can i run it with no thermastats?should i just replace one piston or all four?and can some one email me a manual or just some pictures how to take it apart? so far i have the heads off now im getting nervous if the rebuild doesnt work itll be a new engine with my tax return.thanks

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

gdoss2005, sorry about your misfourtune. At this point it is questionable whether your motor is salvageable but it's worth a try. Submerged motors need immediate drastic attention or serious permanent internal damage is very likely.<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=037596#000010 <br />I don't think your controler should say "Selectric" anywhere on it. Your motor is hydroelectric shift and the controlers look very similar, push buttons etc, but act very differenly. I thought Evinrude dropped the "Selectric" name on the control box when they went to hydroelectric shift design. You had the motor working properly with a "Selectric" controller before your misfortune? <br /><br />PS - Bay Rat welcome to the boards! You need to start your own string for your 88 spl. It won't work to just add to this one. Name your new post "1987 88SPL blown cylinder?" The forum moderator will be along to remove your posts from this string.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok, I know I'm a little late to add anything here, BUT........ The motor is NOT " Selectric ". It IS " Hydroelectric ".<br /><br />There is a big difference here. The only similarity that they have is they use push buttons to select gear.<br /><br />Now, until you can get the motor to run, It will not change out of forward.<br /><br />P.S. No offence meant here Gartorred, but <br /><br />A: Try to use punctuation, it is easier to read that way.<br />B: The problem at this point in time, is that the motor isn't running. Until that is fixed, there is no way of knowing the condition of the gearcase. My bet would be that it will be fine.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

My electric-hydraulic shift gearcase still says selectric on the controls and is also shown that way in the OE manual.<br /><br />1. My gearcase is one that has 0 volts in forward<br />2. The controls say selectric<br />3. It works

joho09

Cadet

There is a Selectric control box on E-bay right now. About 14 hrs. till end of auction, has yellow connector plug. Will this unit interchange with on that has a black plug?

joho09

Cadet

Sorry, Didn't mean to hijack this thread, it still early

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you Alden! <br />I've been saving for a Selectric controller for my project boat (1963 40HP SuperSeahorse Electramatic). I have a funtioning-but-questionable Johnson controller and I'd like something in better condition. The pushbutton style Evinrude ones are just so cool. I had assumed (incorrectly, it turns out) that "Selectric" on the controller nameplate meant NOT hydroelectric. Can anyone tell me and gdos and joho09 and the rest of us how to spot the difference? <br />Man, I'm glad I didn't already buy the wrong kind! Very limited budget and I already feel funny looking for another controller when I already have one that works.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by itstippy:<br /> Thank you Alden! <br />I've been saving for a Selectric controller for my project boat (1963 40HP SuperSeahorse Electramatic). I have a funtioning-but-questionable Johnson controller and I'd like something in better condition. The pushbutton style Evinrude ones are just so cool. I had assumed (incorrectly, it turns out) that "Selectric" on the controller nameplate meant NOT hydroelectric. Can anyone tell me and gdos and joho09 and the rest of us how to spot the difference? <br />Man, I'm glad I didn't already buy the wrong kind! Very limited budget and I already feel funny looking for another controller when I already have one that works.
a 1963 takes a different control. The earlier ones like yours are electric. I'm not sure but I believe they are energized for f + r but not for neutral. Lark has the lowdown on those early ones as he caught me a few months ago posting the wrong link. Pretty sure hydro electric was only '68-72. I'm no marine mech and only can tell you what my book says and pass along good advice which has been given to me by the pro's

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

heh heh, <br />If you really want experiance, read what Joe Reeves has to say about all things OMC related.<br /><br />you need to apply power to the controller (with it disconected from the engine) and measure the green and blue wires with a voltmeter. <br /><br />The controller for a selectric/electramatic gearcase will have 0v on both wires when in neutral. 12v on only green wire when in forward, and 12v on only the green wire when in reverse. <br /><br />The controller for hydroelectric will have 0v when in forward, 12v on green when in neutral, and 12v on both green and blue when in reverse.<br /><br />They cannot be swapped between the two.<br /><br /><br />P.S. <br />If you use the wrong controller with the hydroelectric engine, you won't get revese, and forward and neutral will be backwards, If you used the wrong controller with the selectric/electramatic, you would break something when you select reverse.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

gdoss - Forget the problems with the gearcase for now. Do what MCM advised to get the sucker running. You have very little time to get that running or it will not be worth the effort. When water gets to the bearings and the journal surfaces of the rods, crank & cyl walls rust starts and rust eats engines real quick.

gdoss2005

Cadet

Got it sunning Sunday. Ran for 15 to 20 minutes. Sounds OK. Still in gear. Haven't tried to short over to change gears. Found controls on ebay. today is last day to bid. Selectric is on the plate of the controls. I have no idea which kind of shifter it is, but the controls I saw in picture are exactly like the ones I have

gdoss2005

Cadet

Thanks to alden, MCM, lark2004, and Joe. Yesterday 12-27-05 I got it running right. I went out for 35 minutes and it ran so well I couldn't keep it in the rough water. I had to put new starter, selenoid, controls,(found on ebay), and battery. Got a good running motor for less than $300.00. Hydro-electric shifter is working OK. Could not have done anything without your help. Thanks again, you save me a lot of money and taught me a lot about OMC Outboards.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

we are all here to help, glad to hear that you got her running.