50:1 or 40:1. mix ratio for 1987 mercury 70hp

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
am disconnecting the oil injection. what is the correct mix?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
On gasoline vs ethanol, I had/have 2 Mercs (90 and 115 hp) of 2002 vintage. One I ran for 10 years on ethanol and one I bought last year that had been run on gasoline. The black hoses on the engine proper had started breaking down and generating little black rubber particles on the ethanol engine whereas the newly purchased engine, upon taking a cotton swab and swabbing out the fuel line, plus inspecting the contents of the fuel filter, had none. Fact-fiction, mass hysteria, bad dream, I don't know, just facts as I found them.

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Roger that. putting a decal on the splashwell

Attachments

• photo328785.png
    photo328785.png
    276.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I would also tell you to use a fuel additive that removes the ethanol from the gas. Its hard to find, so I use a can of seafoam with every fillup and never had a problem. And I have not cleaned my carb's in 5 years they were perfect.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I would also tell you to use a fuel additive that removes the ethanol from the gas. Its hard to find, so I use a can of seafoam with every fillup and never had a problem. And I have not cleaned my carb's in 5 years they were perfect.

I kept Sea Foam added when refueling my older old boat. On the newer old boat I found an empty bottle of Mercury 1 fuel mix (didn't know such existed) and found that WW sells it so that's what I use now.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Roger that. putting a decal on the splashwell

I thought I added this to my post earler: I got a Magic Marker and put a note adjacent to the fill port to remind me to pre mix. The decal is much more professional looking!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I would also tell you to use a fuel additive that removes the ethanol from the gas.
What?.......its physically impossible to remove ethanol from gas short of distillation.

It's hard to find because the snake oil salesmen promoting the product has since gone to jail for false advertising....lol