ben2go
Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter- Joined
- Jul 29, 2008
- Messages
- 411
1980 Eska built 5 HP Gamefisher
Model# 217-585460
Tecumseh air cooled 1 cylinder power head.
I have fuel and bright blue spark,but my engine just pops through the exhaust column.When I changed the points and condenser,I set the points per service manual.I couldn't check the carb ignition sync.I understand that as the carb is opening up the ignition advances at the same time.I just don't know how to set the advance in relation to top dead center.I also don't know how much or how fast the advance needs to come in.Everything operates off rods and a cam.There is a special timing plate tool that is used to help set the timing but I can not locate one.Tecumseh, of course,no longer makes them.Sooooo, how can I set the timing without the plate?How many degrees of timing at idle and whats the max degree of timing at wide open throttle?If I had these two numbers,I could use a degree wheel to set it up.Thanks in advance for any help.
Model# 217-585460
Tecumseh air cooled 1 cylinder power head.
I have fuel and bright blue spark,but my engine just pops through the exhaust column.When I changed the points and condenser,I set the points per service manual.I couldn't check the carb ignition sync.I understand that as the carb is opening up the ignition advances at the same time.I just don't know how to set the advance in relation to top dead center.I also don't know how much or how fast the advance needs to come in.Everything operates off rods and a cam.There is a special timing plate tool that is used to help set the timing but I can not locate one.Tecumseh, of course,no longer makes them.Sooooo, how can I set the timing without the plate?How many degrees of timing at idle and whats the max degree of timing at wide open throttle?If I had these two numbers,I could use a degree wheel to set it up.Thanks in advance for any help.