5 Believed Drowned In Boating Accident

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class
A 16-foot fishing boat carrying 10 family members and their friends during a late-night outing struck an underwater obstruction and sank early Monday, killing two people and leaving three missing and feared dead. <br /> A 22-year-old woman swam two miles without a lifejacket to a lakefront home to ask for help, and four other people were rescued after the accident shortly after midnight Sunday on Lake Ray Hubbard, police said. <br /> The bodies of Rosa Isela Holguin, 38, and Elizabeth Guzman, 18, were recovered, Dallas Fire Rescue Lt. Doug ****erson said Monday evening. <br /> The search for the missing was suspended Monday night and expected to resume at daybreak Tuesday. <br /> Sara Guzman, Elizabeth's sister, was identified as the woman who made the swim to safety after the boat struck something between midnight and 12:30 a.m. and rapidly took on water. <br /> An 18-year-old woman wearing one of the two life jackets aboard the boat was rescued, along with two boys ages 6 and 15, after they were found clinging to one another. A 20-year-old man wearing the other life jacket was rescued nearby. <br /> The survivors were uninjured. <br /> Still missing Monday afternoon were three people: a 39-year-old male, a 21-year-old male and a 12-year-old girl, ****erson said. <br /> Gary Gilliam, who lives on the lakeshore in the suburb of Heath, told The Dallas Morning News that he heard noise outside his home at about 3:30 a.m. <br /> As he was calling police, Gilliam said he found the woman sprawled on the rocks by the shore. <br /> "I can't believe she made it across," Gilliam told the newspaper's online editions Monday. "It's almost two miles (across the lake)." <br /> The woman spoke only Spanish, Gilliam said, but it quickly became clear that there were others in the lake. He said he used his personal watercraft to begin searching before rescuers arrived. <br /> Speaking through a translator, Sara Guzman said she was afraid to swim but God gave her "valor" to continue across the lake for nearly three hours. <br /> "I did not think I was a strong swimmer, but I became very courageous," she said. <br /> The search covered three square miles and began about 3:30 a.m. By early afternoon, police had given up hope of survivors and changed the focus of the search to recovery rather than rescue. <br /> Two police helicopters circled over the green, wind-swept waters early Monday and four rescue boats were methodically patrolling the general area where authorities believe the boat sank. <br /> Authorities don't know exactly where it went down in the 40-foot deep lake, which is ringed by large lakefront homes. <br /> Several somber relatives of the boaters quietly waited for information in an upscale neighborhood overlooking the lake. They sat on curbs, sidewalks and yards behind yellow police tape Monday morning, some crying and hugging one another. They seemed settled in for a long wait. <br /> "I have no choice. I have to be strong," said Desidro Guzman, the father of two young women on the boat, as he looked toward the water with tears in his eyes. <br /> Guzman said one of his daughters was the 22-year-old who swam to shore. His comments came before the body of his other daughter was found. <br /> He said the daughters, their boyfriends and family members were on a pleasure boating outing. <br /> ****erson said a power short that caused much of the telephone service in Dallas and surrounding towns, including 911 service, to shut down late Sunday, did not appear to have delayed rescue efforts. <br /> He said Gilliam placed a 911 call just after 3 a.m. to the Heath Fire Department and got through without any problems. <br /> Heath authorities then contacted emergency crews from the nearby suburb of Rockwall and in Dallas, which owns the lake east of the city. <br /> State law requires a life jacket on board for each person in a boat, Texas Parks and Wildlife Lt. Col. Roy Lawrence said. Children under age 13 must wear a life jacket. Additionally, a boat 16 feet or longer must also have a floating device that can be thrown from the craft. <br /> Lake Ray Hubbard reaches into parts of Dallas, Rockwall, Collin and Kaufman counties. The 22,745-acre manmade lake was established in 1968 as a reservoir and is a popular fishing and recreation area. <br /> (Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.) <br /> APTV-09-23-02 2216CDT <br /><br />Close

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5 Believed Drowned In Boating Accident

Thanks, 88Spl. <br /><br />I tried to follow this story as it developed and stuck a post in the PFDs thread in Boats.<br /><br />It is too bad that the owner/operator of this boat didn't survive to face a judge and explain why he had 10 people on a boat that couldn't possibly be rated for more than 5 :eek: , why there were only 2 PFDs aboard :mad: , why 2 people under 18 weren't wearing those two. :( <br /><br />The worst case of criminal negligence I can think of. :mad: <br /><br />All boaters will take a hit on this. Stand by to be flamed by the press over it. :(

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Lake Ray Hubbard is a little wider than the Rio Grande, huh JB? My sympathy goes to the children, they didn't know any better :(

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Amen to that, Dmessy!!

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry yall, I didn't know JB had a thread on subject. Demssy, lake is somewhat larger the the Rio Grande..........spent allot of time on the Rio Grande river, stationed (1970's) Laghlin AFB, Del Rio Texas, Lake Amistad, very clear, clifs, good fishing, all rock, caves and the such. I can remember swimming down 10ft, and going in through a small entrance in the rock, going up 4 or 5ft, to an openning about 12x15 or so. The light would shine in through small holes and cracks some 20 feet above. Very cool hideout. Fooled many a boater. Jump from the clif, (while boater watching) swim down, and in the cave, never to be seen again!

RICKRICK1

Ensign

Great post 88spl. Heard about it while out of town this weekend. Lake Ray Hubbard is pretty big and dont know where 10 people would fit on a 16 foot boat, my blaw has a 17 foot and we tried to get10 people in his (backyard) and had 3 people standing up and no room to move around. Shame that people wont read and heed the notices on what there boat will handle. :mad: <br /><br />88spl when were you aat Laughlin, I was stationed there in 71/27 time frame, used to swim the Rio Grand below the dam. Great place to picnic and have family outings.

sloopy

Commander

thats a sad common story

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

RickRick1, yes I've been all around that lake. I remember a buddy of mine had rented a round house not to far from the dam. Wada dam uh? Huge. Did you Nixon opened that dam? I was stationed thier 1978/79. We had T37 and T39 back then, and were training Iraq, and Iran students. I'm the guy that issued there flight gear, man do they stink, they dont use deoderant(sp) at all, for those who failled flight training we had to condem all thier stuff,as the smell would knock u out :eek: