5.8 omc not starting HELLP!

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok . I have a 1989 2455 with a 5.8 omc that i can't get started. This is what i have done.
1. New Rochester quadrojet carb
2. Replaced points with new hei distributor with new plugwires and new plugs and new cdi ESA.
3. Cleaned all contacts
4. Set distributor to Tdc
5. Checked and checked plug order er
6. Volt meter reads 12-14v with key on, drops down to 10 -7 when cracking.
7. Gas is geting to carb.
I am at a total loss. I am not geting a spark and don't know why.
This is what it all looks like. Maybe I have something wired wrong? Please help.IMAG0621.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0625.jpg
    IMAG0625.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0624.jpg
    IMAG0624.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0623.jpg
    IMAG0623.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0622.jpg
    IMAG0622.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 0

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 5.8 omc not starting HELLP!

any idea why im geting power to distributer but no spark?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

any idea why im geting power to distributer but no spark?

If an HEI distributor has power at the "BAT" terminal, and is properly grounded (the block), it will spark, unless there is something wrong with it. Are you sure the ESA wiring is correct? Are you sure that power is at the BAT terminal, and not the TACH?

Pull the plastic cover off the top of the coil, and make sure the wiring is in place, and the stamped steel piece that runs from the coil laminates to the module connector is in place. Pull the cap off, and make sure there is a button in place for the coil to transfer voltage to the rotor.

BTW, Picture #4, your fuel line to the carb is VERY kinked. The carb may be getting fuel now, but at a higher RPM, you will probably have starvation issues. You should consider bending some steel fuel line (A.K.A. 3/8 brake line) for at least that area.

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Am I measuring this correctly? When I crank it it falls to 7 to 10 ?IMAG0626.jpg

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Am I measuring this correctly? When I crank it it falls to 7 to 10 ?View attachment 157784

Is this wire directly from the ignition switch, or the ESA? 7 sounds a bit low, Around 10V is perfectly acceptable. Are you sure the battery and it's connections (both at the battery and block/starter) are up to snuff? Battery voltage shouldn't drop below around 10V while starting. If it is, check the above mentioned first.

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i went and recharged my bat this morning this time it reads 14v i allso went and bought a spark tester and i AM geting spark. so like you said it must be something with my carb. now i have a brand new rochester quadrojet on this 5.8 ford windsor omc. i wish i would have stuck with a holly sinc that is what was originaly on it. this morning i sprayed a couble of shots of starter fluid into it and cranked it with the fully charged bat and flames and fire came out! thankfully i had the flame arester on top of carb. will my engine run with this quadrojet that is designed for a chevy or should i break down and buy the holley.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

ok i went and recharged my bat this morning this time it reads 14v i allso went and bought a spark tester and i AM geting spark. so like you said it must be something with my carb. now i have a brand new rochester quadrojet on this 5.8 ford windsor omc. i wish i would have stuck with a holly sinc that is what was originaly on it. this morning i sprayed a couble of shots of starter fluid into it and cranked it with the fully charged bat and flames and fire came out! thankfully i had the flame arester on top of carb. will my engine run with this quadrojet that is designed for a chevy or should i break down and buy the holley.

If your engine is puffing flames out of the carb, you need to check your firing order, and make sure the wires are routed correctly.

The correct firing order should be; 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. The distributor rotor rotates Counter-Clockwise, so keep this in mind when setting up the firing order. Also, unlike a Chevy, the cylinders are numbered like this;
4---8
3---7
2---6
1---5
^-----Front of engine.

As far as the Quadrajet is concerned, it doesn't really care what engine it's bolted to. In fact, Ford used the Quadrajet as standard equipment on the 428 Cobra Jet engine, and Chrysler used them on their small block LA engines.
It's a great carburetor that will put a Holley to shame if you have the patience and expertise to dial it in. The Quadrajet is not one of those carbs that you can just pull out of the box, drop on any old engine, and expect perfection. The Holley is certainly more of a novices carb, and a little more forgiving.

I would get your firing order straitened out, then see how it runs with the Quadrajet. If the Quadrajet was calibrated for a 350 Chevy in a truck, it should be fairly close for your Ford.

Edit; One more thought on the Q-jet. Are you using an adapter to make it work on your intake, or is your intake a spread bore intake? The Q-jet is a spread bore carb (secondary throttle plates are larger then the primaries), where as most (not all) Holleys are square bore (secondary throttle plates are the same size as the primaries). The spread bore carbs require an intake with a larger area in the back to accommodate the larger throttle plates. A typical square bore intake will not allow the secondary plates to open, as since there is material in the way of the plates.

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes i am using the adapters for the quadrojet. i am guessing my no start issue is around the carb. i will double check the spark plug placement and reapply the gaskets on the conversion plate. i am hoping the kinked fuel hose is the problem. is there any way to test the fuel to see if it is bad?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

yes i am using the adapters for the quadrojet. i am guessing my no start issue is around the carb. i will double check the spark plug placement and reapply the gaskets on the conversion plate. i am hoping the kinked fuel hose is the problem. is there any way to test the fuel to see if it is bad?

Again,
Let's check your firing order first. If you are getting huffing, and flames out the carb, thats telling me that the ignition system in it's current configuration is lighting off one or more cylinders while the intake valve is open.

Best way to check fuel is to pull your filters, and dump them out into a clean clear plastic or glass bottle.

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, i checked firing order this morning and all is correct. I tried to start again and it turns over but sounds like a puff of air on every rotation? Not sure where It's coming from.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Ok, i checked firing order this morning and all is correct. I tried to start again and it turns over but sounds like a puff of air on every rotation? Not sure where It's coming from.

When you dropped your distributor in, was cylinder 1 at TDC at the end of the compression stroke?

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok i rechecked tdc and it is right on. i think it is a carb issue. when i am cranking it it allmost starts but right befor it does i see white smoke coming from the carb.and i here a small whosh noise as if smoke is coming around gasket on carb?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

flames blowing out the carb is not a carb issue - that's a timing issue

I'd pull that AAA HEI thing out of there and go with the original distributor until you get it going.

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i rechecked again and i must have had number one at TDB. this time i redid the distributor and had it at tdc, gave the carb some fuel and cranked it and it started right up! first time it has been running since i bought the boat! now, i went to shut the engine off after a few second because the engine was unusually noisy , so i turned the key to off and it kept going. i pulled the key out and it kept going, i pulled the lanyared and it kept going . i finally had to wait about 30 seconds for it to die . what could this be.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

i rechecked again and i must have had number one at TDB. this time i redid the distributor and had it at tdc, gave the carb some fuel and cranked it and it started right up! first time it has been running since i bought the boat! now, i went to shut the engine off after a few second because the engine was unusually noisy , so i turned the key to off and it kept going. i pulled the key out and it kept going, i pulled the lanyared and it kept going . i finally had to wait about 30 seconds for it to die . what could this be.

Was it stumbling, and running rough when you tried to shut it off, or was it still running smoothly?

If it was stumbling and running rough, it was probably dieseling, which is usually caused by too high an idle speed (very common issue with a new carb install). You need to adjust both the idle mixture settings, throttle settings, and timing to get it to idle right if this is the case.

If it was running smoothly, then most likely the distributor is getting back fed from another voltage source other then the ignition switch. Check it all over, because it can be almost anything with wiring looking like what you have. I will mention though, in allot of cases it can be the alternator back feeding into the ignition. If that's the case, installing a diode usually fixes that.

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes it was running smothly. i just got back from the boat and the reason the knocking sound was there was because i forgot to put the number 0ne spark plug back in ... so this time i put the plug in and it sounds much better, but again when i shut it off it keeps running. i shut the power from the battery off pulled all the power cords to the distributor pulled the lanyard and it just kept going. i finally just had to pinch the gas line to get it to stop.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

you have powered your distributor from somewhere other than the ignition circuit, or you have shorted power full time to the ignition.

Start tracing wires.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

pulled all the power cords to the distributor

Does this include pulling the wire from the BAT terminal on the distributor? If so it may be dieseling. What's your idle RPM BTW?
If not, try pulling the wire from the BAT terminal to be sure it's the ignition. It should kill out the engine if the ignition truly is still powered.

talies13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I killed the main breaker turning the bat off as well. Rpm was about 400

Sam Buckpitt

Recruit

I had the same problem with my 5.8 and a new ignition switch fixed the not stoping problem. hope this helps