5.7gsi floods itself out

Snakeriver

Recruit
Ok new to the forum and ill be honest ill probably only be on here to get mechanical advice so for my sake pray that im not on here all the time :cool: so i have an 02 5.7 gsi with tbi that is getting way to much fuel. At an idle it runs fine when in (N) under a load(but under 1k rpm) it tends to surge from time to time and going closed to WOT it starts to flood itself out. If i ease into it and build RPMs it runs fine

The guy before me took apart the injectors to change the O-rings.

I hooked it to a computer and at first it threw a code 21 tps high voltage.
- check for a short in the wire found none and swapped it out for a new one

still flooded itself out and surged under a load and surges.

Changed the map sensor and it stopped surging but still floods itself out under a load.

So i took apart the injectors and noticed they were backwards because those little dimples on the injectors were smashed on a groove.

So my questions are
1. What are those dimples for? And if smashed would they cause the injector to push more fuel through the nozzle than supposed to? Cause it was not doing this before he did the injector job.
2. Is the barometric pressure supposed to be the same as manifold pressure while the engine is off but with key on? Because the code reader shows different readings between the two even while the engine is off.

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 5.7gsi floods itself out

What makes you think it's flooding? Are you getting a bunch of black smoke near the transom, are the plugs black and fouled? You sure it's not going lean then rich? That's been my experiece with EFI surging, have you checked for vacuum leaks? What about fuel pressure, both the high and low side? I've seen a similar problem on easing into it where it will eventually get up to speed, it was a fuel pump problem. As in not enough pressure.

Snakeriver

Recruit
Re: 5.7gsi floods itself out

Im starting to think its the ecm calculating for a different altitude under wot. The barometric pressure is not the same as the manifold pressure when the key is on and engine is off. Hate to spend 1500 and have it not be that though.

The plugs were pitch black so i replaced those as well. Checked the codes this morning and the map sensor voltage was low but i have no shorts in the wire.

But no black smoke it just flat out floods itself out. I have ran it and watched the fuel injectors just **** into the throttle body like a race horse..