5.7gli flkdcu cutting out....help!!!!!

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you in advance.
i have a 20' 1997 Blue Water Open Bow Ski boat powered by a Volvo 5.7 GLI FLKDCU attached to an SX drive 19* 4 blade Alum Solas prop. With the current set up the boat has given us 3 years of fun for my sons and myself. Last summer the engine started to cut out around 2600 rpm's suddenly and the boat wouldn't plane. I was informed by the local marine repair/dealership that my High Pressure pump was most likely the issue because it was whining and "warmer than usual". Replaces it, no questions asked. I get it back on the water, and the same thing happens AGAIN!! So I follow their guidance and replace the Low pressure fuel pump and the filter. Now were are a couple hundred bucks later and today I take her out. She ran great for about 30 min then I lost all power above 2500 rpms. She just falls flat on her face. Power literally cuts out like it is a fuel problem. Luckily (insert sarcasm here) I happen to have a Volvo mechanic come floating on by and he offer his $.02 and we were both thinking it makes sense that one of the exhaust Flappers could come loose/broken off and be covering the "Y" pipe before the bellows directs the exhaust out to the stern drive , because both elbows were warmer than usual. So with high hopes, I come home, pull the elbows and both flappers are properly secured. I even took a piece of hose and push it through to see if there were any obstructions on either side. There is nothing that I can figure out.

New Fuel Filter from Napa.
New Volvo HP Fuel pump
New Volvo LP Fuel Pump.
New Impeller for cooling system
Oil changed every season of 100 hours (which ever comes first)
All annual/seasonal maintenance is done.

Please, I am boggled beyond belief... :grumpy:

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 5.7gli flkdcu cutting out....help!!!!!

Just pulled the fuel sending unit. The take is a Aluminum 5052 tank made in 10/1996. The pick up tube has a screen on it, but nothing was stuck to the screen and I can't see anything on the bottom of the "V" shaped tank that could have caused a fuel issue.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check the fuel pumps and see if the inlet screens on the pumps are partially plugged up with paint.

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don, Both pumps are brand new. I will look at them again, but when I pulled them off, they were both clear. I was told it could be a Oil pressure switch.

Don S

I was told it could be a Oil pressure switch.

Why would it be the oil pressure switch? You don't have a Mercruiser carbed engine, and Volvo doesn't use an oil pressure switch for anything but an alarm to tell you the oil pressure is low.

If your old pumps were clear, then it may not be they are plugged.

Have you done any fuel system pressure tests on the pumps when the problem is occurring? Sounds like all you are doing is throwing parts at it and getting no where.

May also be an air leak, or plugged vent or ___________ (fill in the blank)

Try these tests too.
HOW TO: Testing your boats fuel system.?/ 283269

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don, I have not done any testing while the motor is under load. What would cause the fuel pressure to drop randomly and not reset until the engine is totally cool?

Don S

Don, I have not done any testing while the motor is under load. What would cause the fuel pressure to drop randomly and not reset until the engine is totally cool?

You do the testing to find the answers to those questions. A plugged up tank vent may slowly allow the vacuum in the tank to drop to zero vacuum after sitting for a while (Long enough for the engine to cool)

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok. I will get started on it.

Taz59

Petty Officer 1st Class

BigDave
have sorted your problem out.