5.7Gi-F Updates with some lessons learned.

MalibuMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Many of you have been very helpful giving advice about my cooling system and tune up pointers. Thank you all! I didnt have time for a proper sea trial but did drive around the harbor for an hour with the engine hatch open just to look for any issues. Temps still holding at 165 and the risers feel much cooler. No leaks found any where yet.
I unfortunately learned about what happens if you start your boat in the water with the fresh water hose port cap open. I started the boat and should have immediately stuck my hand on the brass housing to check if my impeller install was done right but I didnt. Within a few minutes smoke started coming from the housing! Luckily caught it quickly and shut the boat down before it got above 140. I had a spare impeller and quickly changed the damaged one out. Luckily it was in one piece. I'm going to order another as it seems wise to keep a spare on board and changing one out takes less than ten minutes. My new sticky on the dash will have a list including checking the drain plug and checking the hose cap on the flush port. I may also make it a habit to leave the engine cover open for the first 20 minutes or so while leaving the harbor just to check for leaks, listen for weird sounds, and feel the risers and impeller housing.
I did read in a few posts about how important it is to retorque the riser and exhaust manifold bolts. After running the boat two times for 30 to 60 minutes, I decided to give it a go. I could not believe just how much more the bolts needed to be tightened! I was imagining some might need an 1/8 of a turn but several needed almost 1/2! Only one bolt out of all them was close to the original torque. So when they say it's vital, it really is! I will probably check one more time after running the engine for a few hours.

Fun Times

Staff member
I unfortunately learned about what happens if you start your boat in the water with the fresh water hose port cap open.
Yes it's important to have the blue cap on tight and not damaged in anyway or it will suck air and burn up the impeller.
I may also make it a habit to leave the engine cover open for the first 20 minutes or so while leaving the harbor just to check for leaks, listen for weird sounds, and feel the risers and impeller housing.
This should be a habit every boater should do in my opinion every time out....It helps let you get to know the whole operating system.
I did read in a few posts about how important it is to retorque the riser and exhaust manifold bolts. After running the boat two times for 30 to 60 minutes, I decided to give it a go. I could not believe just how much more the bolts needed to be tightened! I was imagining some might need an 1/8 of a turn but several needed almost 1/2! Only one bolt out of all them was close to the original torque. So when they say it's vital, it really is! I will probably check one more time after running the engine for a few hours.
(y)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I always open the engine cover before starting and sniff for fumes and listen for odd noises. Leave an IR temp gym on the boat to check elbow & manifold temps. I keep a digital volt/ohmmeter on the boat and a test light for checking circuits. I also installed a gas vapor detector some years back I think every inboard gas powered boat should have one.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Glade to hear everything worked out, and yes opening the engine hatch during start up or just after is something every one with an I/O or inboards should do