5.7 TBI intermitant no start

Ram50V8

Recruit
This is actually a thank you for the forum. A friend who is 500 miles away had his new to him 2002 5.7 Alpha1 gen II quit. He hauled it to the dealer/marina where they diagnosed it as a failed ECU. Now my friend and I are auto and heavy equipment mechanics and I am very familiar with the computer used by Mercury ( it is a very common industrial computer system that has broad use from fork lifts to trucks to off road) Any way, my friend is telling me what the dealer has said and I respond with how that computer is just about indestructible. According to the dealer they found a loose ground at the alternator which they said killed the computer. Thank fully through this forum I was able to track down the correct wiring diagram for his boat, walk him through over the phone where to look for the problem and viola! Problem solved!! The computer is fine, it was a slightly pinched wire to the port injector in the throttle body. My friends family reunion/vacation has been saved and I get an extra cookie for desert!

Lesson learned, don't assume-diagnose properly!

I am not going to say what marina it was but they have a reputation of being parts swappers.

Thanks again, Darren M.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 5.7 TBI intermitant no start

Very interesting! My port TBI 5.7 engine would not start last weekend. I'm going to have to check that out on mine.

Thanks for your post!