5.7 OMC Flush kit

uneasy_rider

Recruit
I am sure this is probably a stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyways. I recently bought a 87 Four Winns 210 Horizon project that needed a lower stern drive. I have about completed it and need some info on running it outside of a body of water. My question is: Does a i/o engine still bring in water through the lower unit like an outboard or does it come in through a hole in the hull. The reason I ask is that there is a hole on the lower left hand side that I am not sure what is does. Thanks for any assistance.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 5.7 OMC Flush kit

I am sure this is probably a stupid question, but I am going to ask it anyways. I recently bought a 87 Four Winns 210 Horizon project that needed a lower stern drive. I have about completed it and need some info on running it outside of a body of water. My question is: Does a i/o engine still bring in water through the lower unit like an outboard or does it come in through a hole in the hull. The reason I ask is that there is a hole on the lower left hand side that I am not sure what is does. Thanks for any assistance.

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

You have an OMC Cobra outdrive. Did you replace the drive with a rebuilt one or did you simply buy a used one from someone? (It appears that you had someone do the work for you?)

The water pickup for a Cobra (and most all stern drives) does indeed work just like an outboard.

You MUST connect a flush adapter (uses the same as an outboard) to the lower unit and have the water ON before you start the engine.

If you have not inspected and/or replaced the raw water pump in the drive, you should do it now before you run it.

there is a hole on the lower left hand side

You'll have to be a little more specific about that.

Can you post a picture?

Cheers,

Rick

uneasy_rider

Recruit

Thanks Rick, I did find after alot of research that the hole I spoke of is to the live well.
I am a 40 year old motorhead, but new to the boating community and don't want to screw up a costly investment. I swapped out the lower unit with a used one, and did inspect the raw water pump yesterday and it looked like new to my suprise (boat has been setting for quite a few years.) I tried to run it with the muffs when I first got it, and just did not feel like it was hetting the water as it should. I am looking to install a tee in the line (flush kit) and give it another try today. Just learning as I go along. Some of the things on boats are seem strange after working on cars and bikes all my life.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Ok,

Well, first of all, you'll need to get yourself a correct year OMC Service Manual. (not a Seloc or Clymer)

The manual is fairly specific on how to do stuff...

In general, If the drive is an unknown "quantity" and you don't know how long it's been since everything was "serviced",

You should carefully inspect the drive bellows, gimbal bearing, and if I got a drive used,
I would want to know if it would hold pressure & vacuum. (drive oil leaks)

You should also check and adjust the engine alignment since that's probably not been done in years.
Learn about how the ESA system operates and inspect your lower shift cable closely.

Read the following: http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

Also have a look at the DIY "Sticky" messages at the top of this (OMC) message forum for other maintenance "stuff".

My Current boat is an 87 Four Winns 211 Liberator that my brother bought new with an OMC 460 King Cobra. (About 6 years ago, I pulled it all out and replaced it with a 1997 Mercruiser 454/Bravo) I learned A lot doing that job!

There's a LOT of people here that have made most or all of the mistakes you can make working on one so don't be shy about asking questions!

It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to work on these things. Just a little common sense and normal hand tools...............Do you homework though! Read that stuff above and get a manual! It'll help immensely in the long run! (there's even someone here that has some OMC manuals saved in digital form for the asking!)

Cheers,

Rick