5.7 Mercruiser Dies on Idle

bocephus1369

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2012
Messages
16
I have a 1997 Maxum 2000srl with a 5.7 Thunderbolt Mercruiser. It is carbed with a Rochester 2bbl Mercarb. I am having an issue with keeping the motor going at idle. I put the throttle into neutral like I always do to start it and it will run for about 30 seconds then die. I can give it some gas and it will rev up but when I pull back on the throttle it dies. It will only start again if I push the throttle forward and back. I believe it only runs from the gas in the bowl then starves out. I have read a lot of posts about similar issues but am really confused as to where to go from here. I have checked the venting and anti-siphon valve. I have replaced the fuel filter/water seperator. It was full of gas and didn't see any water. It has a manual fuel pump. Once it starts, the gauge shows about 40 for the oil pressure. I do have a carb rebuild kit on order. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
 

flashback

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 28, 2002
Messages
4,509
A tuneup is a good place to start. If it's not idling well in neutral you need to check everything..then you can narrow it down...
 

bocephus1369

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 23, 2012
Messages
16
A tuneup is a good place to start. If it's not idling well in neutral you need to check everything..then you can narrow it down...
There are a lot of possibilities when it is starving at idle. I was thinking a carb issue but am open to troubleshooting other options as well.
 

flashback

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 28, 2002
Messages
4,509
I think your carb is a good possibility, I only meant to encourage you to look at all possibilities..
 
Top