FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
That's what I thought. ..I'm showing my voltage at the new Faria multi gauge pinned at 18 v I just installed it and everything. .oil ,temp,fuel ate working fine just the volt gauge...
I checked volts at battery and in multiple sources on the boat and I'm getting 13.5 to 14v
I read on Faria's website that the volt wire on the gauge went to unrectfied voltage.... what am I missing?
You either have a defective voltmeter or there is something wrong with the charging system. The positive, negative, and light connections on the voltmeter can be connected to the same terminals on any other working gauge. That's the way electricity works. You cannot read 18 volts from a 12 volt regulated electrical system. With the engine running at anything over idle speed it will read 13.5 - 14.5 volts. Anything more and you are cooking the battery. Connecting the gauge to an unrectified source means the gauge will be reading AC voltage. Don't know what manual you are reading but here is Faria's installation tips and it clearly states power from the ignition (which is where all the other gauges get power from so connecting to any other gauge is the same thing).